• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Considering The Following Components in my Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you have connected RGB to the motherboard you need the Asus software to control it. Looking at the Asus site, it's called Armoury Crate & Aura Creator. The software should be on your install disc or you can (direct) download the zip file here.

If you have connected RGB to the motherboard you need the Asus software to control it. Looking at the Asus site, it's called Armoury Crate & Aura Creator. The software should be on your install disc or you can (direct) download the zip file here.
OK....will try....haven't had much time this weekend (wifey) but it's enabled in the bios so I thought that would do it....

Guess I have a lot more work and leaning to do.....Like why is my G.SKILL Trident Z5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 Intel XMP 3.0 shows only 4800 in the bios.....not sure if it's related to bus speed....so much has changed
:unsure:

Thanks for the quick reply.....will return with results after I do my wifey chores and she's gone to work....:cool:
:p

Your memory is running the base/jedec speed because you didn't enable xmp. 4800 is the base speed it boots at for compatibility reasons... your previous memory did this too. ;)

Are you reading my posts Crash?
Yes.....BUT I wasn't even thinking it would be the so small light (I haven't kept up and people that I know now only have MACs & Playstations).....which still doesn't make sense why they put these things (including power and USB) on top where I will never see it!!! Really wish I could have found a case that had these on the front that met my other requirements......

Thanks again and I do read every response but with the combo of diagnostics and HDD activity it's hard to tell which is which......
Post magically merged:

Your memory is running the base/jedec speed because you didn't enable xmp. 4800 is the base speed it boots at for compatibility reasons... your previous memory did this too. ;)
That's what I thought but I'm still learning and that's why I'm here.....I've seen people mention XMP but had no idea of what it was not to mention 3 different ways to flash the bios.....what is today's suggested method?

I have even searched for suggested bios settings for this MB and didn't find it....maybe I was being too specific in my search.....

Thanks to all and try to be patient with this old fart:p

EDIT: well damn.....I do have XMP enabled on my current MB (Gigabyte) :LOL: (talk about memory problems:oops:
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Bios on a usb stick... through the bios.

For now, don't touch a thing except for enabling xmp.
Good....that's the way I like to update.....btw my current bios date is Nov 2021......

I know.....don't always rush to update but it's over 8 months old....and there have been 7 since......

Good....that's the way I like to update.....btw my current bios date is Nov 2021......

I know.....don't always rush to update but it's over 8 months old....and there have been 7 since......
You can usually look to see what the update involves. If it's something you need or want (i.e. stability fixes, AGESA updates, etc) then it's a good idea to update. However, generally speaking, if my system is running smoothly and the way I like it, I don't bother updating. It just depends on the update and what it entails.

Case in point, For my ASUS B450i-Gaming there is an update to include compatibility with the 5000 series CPUs. I don't own a 5000 CPU so I haven't updated it.

Well, when you first get a board, you should update it to the latest version ASAP. Way more often than not, it corrects any existing issues and is more stable. Doesn't fix PEBKAC stuff, but, you get the point, lol. So yes, Flash it as you have an incredibly old BIOS with numerous improvements over the year it's been out.

Now, once I'm updated, I don't run out and get the new ones either.. but if I notice I'm a couple behind, I'll generally update regardless if I'm stable.

You can usually look to see what the update involves. If it's something you need or want (i.e. stability fixes, AGESA updates, etc) then it's a good idea to update. However, generally speaking, if my system is running smoothly and the way I like it, I don't bother updating. It just depends on the update and what it entails.

Case in point, For my ASUS B450i-Gaming there is an update to include compatibility with the 5000 series CPUs. I don't own a 5000 CPU so I haven't updated it.
So far there are "Improve system performance", "Improve Memory compatibility" & "Update ME firmware" improvements but I have no problem working with it w/o an update.

At this point like you said unless it's something that I need but I've got to have some time to get the basics set first...

Thanks for the reply!
Post magically merged:

Well, when you first get a board, you should update it to the latest version ASAP. Way more often than not, it corrects any existing issues and is more stable. Doesn't fix PEBKAC stuff, but, you get the point, lol. So yes, Flash it as you have an incredibly old BIOS with numerous improvements over the year it's been out.

Now, once I'm updated, I don't run out and get the new ones either.. but if I notice I'm a couple behind, I'll generally update regardless if I'm stable.
Agreed!

But as you pointed out....I have to set some settings in the bios set correctly first.....Let me enable XMP and take it from there.....

Thanks for the reply!

At this point like you said unless it's something that I need but I've got to have some time to get the basics set first...

....I have to set some settings in the bios set correctly first....
Update that BIOS ASAP. THEN make adjustments... otherwise, you'll lose those settings (even saving to USB stick, they may not load).

But as you pointed out....
I'm saying update ASAP then make your changes. Honestly, the first time I see a BIOS screen on a new build, Im updating it to the latest version. I did say in order to reach your memory speed you need to enable XMP... but again, any changes you make now, you'll have to do it again... so might as well update now, then make changes on the BIOS you're going to live with.

So, to summarize, any changes you make now, you'll have to do again in the latest BIOS as it always starts off at default. Also, settings can be different. What was stable in one BIOS may not be in the next. Update now, then make adjustments.

I also mentioned earlier that you have nothing to change really except to enable XMP........what do you insist on changing?

Last edited:
Update that BIOS ASAP. THEN make adjustments... otherwise, you'll lose those settings (even saving to USB stick, they may not load).

I'm saying update ASAP then make your changes. Honestly, the first time I see a BIOS screen on a new build, Im updating it to the latest version. I did say in order to reach your memory speed you need to enable XMP... but again, any changes you make now, you'll have to do it again... so might as well update now, then make changes on the BIOS you're going to live with.

So, to summarize, any changes you make now, you'll have to do again in the latest BIOS as it always starts off at default. Also, settings can be different. What was stable in one BIOS may not be in the next. Update now, then make adjustments.

I also mentioned earlier that you have nothing to change really except to enable XMP........what do you insist on changing?
Absolutely agree. If you're going to update the BIOS, and it seems like it would be a good idea for you too, then there is no point in fiddling with settings that will simply get wiped with the new update.

While going through the bios I noticed that intel rapid storage was not enabled and then I looked and found it was at EOL....

I use that to verify my Raid1.......is there software from Asus to replace IRS?

Thanks!

EDIT: Finally had downloaded drivers and utils.....that's how far behind I am!

Last edited:

I'm not insisting on changing anything.....at this point I just want the setting to be set correctly to get this to an optimal setup w/o overclocking at this time......Just trying to learn the changes since 2012!

Got utils installed; Updated Bios, XMP on; IRS enabled and got the RGB LEDs working this morning!!!

And fixed my heatpump too! Since I only spent $14 on a capacitor and saved $400 at least.....now I can buy more stuff!......wifey doesn't agree :LOL:
:ROFLMAO:

Thanks to you all....I'll be back with more questions soon!

And fixed my heatpump too! Since I only spent $14 on a capacitor and saved $400 at least.
I was at the supply house last Monday for a heatpump dual-run capacitor too.
I agree with your logic & your wife should be on board with the savings. But I think your wife & my wife have been conspiring about the value of DIY HVAC work. lol

Enable XMP (like you have)... Done. :)
Thanks to everyone's help!!!

Wouldn't it be nice if I could move my Raided drives to the new box and be done :unsure: .....wonder if they are the same controller....probably not

I was at the supply house last Monday for a heatpump dual-run capacitor too.
I agree with your logic & your wife should be on board with the savings. But I think your wife & my wife have been conspiring about the value of DIY HVAC work. lol
dang wives.......Almost to the day last year my main heatpump went out....22 years old....not bad especially in a salt air environment!
Post magically merged:

Software RAID on Intel chipsets... it may... but it's defo not the same controller from over a decade ago.
Yea....nothings ever that easy.....just glad that the Cap didn't cause damage to the compressor.....thanks to thermal shutdowns!

So luck I ordered another drive to built the raid.....gonna be a byotch copying over the data......

Glad to hear your heatpump was an easy fix too.....I also realized I'm too old to work on live circuits anymore :oops:

:LOL:

Last edited:
Yea.....Following Raid Setup Instructions it says "If you want to install a Windows operating system to a hard disk drive included in the Raid set...."

I skipped this because I have my NVMe with my OS then I was installing 2 HDDs.....

It instructed me to Enable VMD controller and Map SATA Controller under VMD to [Enabled], and set Map PCIE Storage under VMD to [Disabled] and save & exit....

After boot I got my first BSOD.....no booty device :unsure:

I guess I should have set this up first prior to installing W11P?

Back