• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need alittle help before I kill my PSU!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EWBatOVAclockin

Well I was Prime95'ing my computer last night and woke up at about 4 for some odd reason. Decided to go check the comp to see how it was doing. I had Core Center opened up checking the temps and voltages. My temps were fine due to my new Zalman:). But my voltages seemed kind of on the low end. My first question is what is the 3.3v line for and what does it power? Whenever I was watching the voltages the 3.3 line was fluctuating from 3.20-3.28. But the strange thing is, is that its never hit a solid 3.3 before. Lol not even when computers at idle. I don't know if this is bad or what. I hope not because I just bought this PSU thinking it would do the job for awhile. Also my Vcore was also doing a little fluctuating. Its at 1.55V and while priming and also right now its flucuating from 1.52-1.55. Also could you please give me any advice as if any of this of bad or ok. My power supply is in my sig. Thanks in advance.

PEACE

Those voltages are not bad. The 3.3 V rail most important job is that it powers the CPU among other things on the MB. That is why you see it fluctuate under heavy loads. Your Vcore will fluctuate with it. The 3.3 is a little low but not overly so.

Ahhhh thank you so much. I was getting worried that I would need to buy a new PSU soon:( Also whenever I get my new video card it requires a molex connector right(I dont konw if thats the right name) its a 6800. But what line powers all of the molex connectors. The 5.5v? One last question but what readings should I actually start thinking about gettin a new PSU. Like whats the lowest acceptable 3.3v reading, 5.5v reading, 12v reading....etc. AND srry I thought that was the last question but for some reason Core center will not post my 12v line. It says its not available :eh?: . Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

PEACE

EWBatOVAclockin said:
Ahhhh thank you so much. I was getting worried that I would need to buy a new PSU soon:( Also whenever I get my new video card it requires a molex connector right(I dont konw if thats the right name) its a 6800. But what line powers all of the molex connectors. The 5.5v? One last question but what readings should I actually start thinking about gettin a new PSU. Like whats the lowest acceptable 3.3v reading, 5.5v reading, 12v reading....etc. AND srry I thought that was the last question but for some reason Core center will not post my 12v line. It says its not available :eh?: . Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

PEACE

Molex connectors run off of the 5 and 12V rails.
SATA Connectors off of the 3.3 , 5, and 12V

look at new PSU when voltages taken WITH A METER do the following

12 Volt dips below 11.4
5 Volt dips below 4.5
3.3 Volt below 3.0

Back