• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need answer for this hard question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DMac said:
Windows 2000 is definately meant to be used as a network operating system. The client version (2000 Pro) is specifically designed to access Windows 2000 Server(s), fully utilizing its capabilities through Active Directory. It's a pretty cut and dry OS. It's very stable and offers many improvements, such as plug and play hwardware support, over its predecessor - Windows NT 4.0. XP is based on Windows 2000 but has a more "user friendly" interface. (according to M$) It's meant for end users. It gives them an "easy to use" OS with the stability of Windows 2000 and even more hardware support.

So as to the question of why they released XP so soon after 2000 - why not? They're targeting different customers.

Bud, I cannot agree with you more. You are tight on the money with your comment. However, the information you have needs to be a link to a site that I can say that I received it from. My professor is a knit picker and will look at all of my references.

Cite the people on these forums as your source. I've done it before. But you will need full name and phone number and date usually for MLA work cited as a interview.

diggingforgold said:
Cite the people on these forums as your source. I've done it before. But you will need full name and phone number and date usually for MLA work cited as a interview.

I have been used as a source since I have worked for Microsoft on and off for 4 years and I can help once again.
I will give you the info I know as fact and not rumor about this topic.

According to many friends who work for the Windows team, they say that Win98SE was supposed to be the only OS for the home market until WinXP Home came out. The public complained and the team just added some crude additions to Win98SE that were already in development for WinXP and out came WinME. This mistake is the reason that there is no longer any offical support for WinME anymore. It is as dead as Win95
Win2k was a direct improvement/replacement for WinNT and never was really geared for the home user. That was WinXP Home's job.
WinXP Pro is a direct improvement/replacement for Win2k
WinXP Home is a direct improvement/replacement for WinME/Win98SE
Win2003 Server is a direct improvement/replacement for WinXP Pro

So the timeframe between Win2k and WinXP is the normal timeframe for buisness server OS' and was never meant to be for the home user.
The general public really complains if there is no OS put out about every 2-3 years. hence the SP1-2 for WinXP. These seem to make the public happy since "longhorn" is taking much longer than originaly planned, but you guys will like it allot!! I am using it right now as beta.

My 2 cents says that Ole' Billy Gates wants buisnesses to upgrade more often cause that is the bread-and-butter of the companies profits.

I can add this to my buisness website if you need a better source but this thread should do fine.

TranceBear said:
I have been used as a source since I have worked for Microsoft on and off for 4 years and I can help once again.
I will give you the info I know as fact and not rumor about this topic.

According to many friends who work for the Windows team, they say that Win98SE was supposed to be the only OS for the home market until WinXP Home came out. The public complained and the team just added some crude additions to Win98SE that were already in development for WinXP and out came WinME. This mistake is the reason that there is no longer any offical support for WinME anymore. It is as dead as Win95
Win2k was a direct improvement/replacement for WinNT and never was really geared for the home user. That was WinXP Home's job.
WinXP Pro is a direct improvement/replacement for Win2k
WinXP Home is a direct improvement/replacement for WinME/Win98SE
Win2003 Server is a direct improvement/replacement for WinXP Pro

So the timeframe between Win2k and WinXP is the normal timeframe for buisness server OS' and was never meant to be for the home user.
The general public really complains if there is no OS put out about every 2-3 years. hence the SP1-2 for WinXP. These seem to make the public happy since "longhorn" is taking much longer than originaly planned, but you guys will like it allot!! I am using it right now as beta.

My 2 cents says that Ole' Billy Gates wants buisnesses to upgrade more often cause that is the bread-and-butter of the companies profits.

I can add this to my buisness website if you need a better source but this thread should do fine.

COuld you be so kind as to place this on your web site and give me the link to it. This will be great info

Back