• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need assistance with first micro ATX build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

I'm looking to build a small, portable PC I can place in my tv stand to use as either a video streamer/storage, music storage, or an occasional game or web browsing.

I have an i5 3450 I'm not using, I will need a case, MB, video card, PSU, and some drives...maybe even a CD/DVD drive.

I don't know what size case or what case to use.

Would like to maybe even add a sound card, have a decent amout of USB inputs.

Nothing crazy, but my TV's are 1080P, so I don't need a monster graphics cars.

I'm guessing a 750W Evga or corsair, 8 or 16GB RAM, 2 SS drives, maybe one large magnetic drive for backup.

Can I fit all that?

All input appreciated.

A good start would be to measure the maximum dimensions that are available and check cases first and get the biggest case that will fit. That may govern what components you can fit.

With one video card, even the most potent one, you don't come close to needing a 750W PSU. 550W would be plenty as long as it's a quality unit and actually puts out the rated wattage continuously. Corsair, EVGA a Seasonic are brands we trust around here.

What games will you be playing?. If you are going with an Ivy Bridge i3 a GTX 1080 may be overkill. The bottleneck in a lot of games will be your CPU. Save some bucks and get a GTX 1060.

450-500W is enough for that. Micro ATX is not much smaller than full ATX. If you want really small then look at ITX motherboards/cases and if there is anything good in this size. Also first measure everything and then buy components as RT said.
Other thing is your budget as we can recommend something that will be way too expensive ... at least I can :)

Even if you have older CPU that you could use then check if it's really worth to buy older mobo+RAM etc. for this build ... maybe better will be to get i3 8100 or Ryzen 1200/2200G and cheaper motherboard ? ... just an idea as for Ryzen there are cheaper and good motherboards, for new i3 not really but both CPUs are 4 core and should be enough for games and all other things.

If you go with a mini ITX build there will likely be limitations on the length of the video card in order to be able to fit in the case. Some mid range video cards come in compact versions with one fan.

Back