• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need build suggestions for gaming pc (intel 8th gen)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

Meant to say 8th or 9th gen in title.

I want to build a new gaming pc. I plan on reusing some parts (storage, peripherals, GPU). I'm hoping to get the parts for the new pc for less than 750$. I need some suggestions on components.

I want to use the i5 8600k or i5-9600k so I can overclock it. I want a normal sized case/mobo (not micro or mini). I think I want to air cool this pc with a decent air cooler. I have a keyboard, mouse, monitor already. I 2 hybrid drives that are 2 TBs each so I don't need storage.

I just need suggestions on case, PSU, mobo, memory, cooler... an SSD would be cool too. Maybe just to put the games on. 180GB is prob enough.

Can anyone tell me how to select PSU and memory that are compatible with a given mobo? It would be good for me to have that skill.

Thanks,

Happy New Year!!!

Last edited:
psu, evga 650 g2 or g3.
motherboard, asrock z370 extreme 4
memory, 2666-3200 16 gig kit of your choice.
case, what catches your eye
cooler, nactua ndh15.
ssd, 240 at the min, 500 gig would be better, games eat up some space!!!!, you don't need an nvme drive, sata m.2 or 2.5 will do just fine.

You would want to put your OS on the SSD.

Last edited:

I would like to see you get a larger SSD and a better quality PSU. The Corsair CX series is serviceable, however. The CX series have sleeve bearing fans that may not last long.

The cooler will not work, however, if you plan on overclocking. The 9600k series run hot. Six real cores. Noctua ND15 if you aren't comfortable with water. Just make sure the case you choose is wide enough to accommodate its height.

Agreed. ^^

You should be able to get some overclocking out of that cooler too... it is a 6c/6t CPU, not 8c/16t 9900K. ;)

Thanks guys!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

How wide of a case do you need for the Noctua cooler?

Thanks guys!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

How wide of a case do you need for the Noctua cooler?

Most case manufacturers these days will give the max cooler height in the case specs. You can research this and the height of the cooler itself. I'm thinking about 169mm tall.

Back