• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need for Speed Undercover

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardin

I got the game today and I'm wheelman level 3. It's pretty fun so far, but the reviews have been really harsh on it. Especially the ign review which criticizes the free roam because all you have to do to start a race is go to your gps map. Well I guess ign forget that it's pretty much the same way that it was handled in Most Wanted. It even criticizes the races for closing putting barriers up everywhere and closing the race from the rest of the city. Well.......what Need for Speed doesn't do this? Obviously this guy has never played a Need for Speed game before.

i gave up on need for speed games, when the cars your racing aginst all of a sudden gain a ton of power out of thin air and keep up with you and move in strange ways and also when your flying along and you smash into an invisable wall across the road and its a road block that hasnt loaded.....you kinda get ****ed at it

I accidentally purchased undercover but lucky for me it was 50% off using my g/f's walmart discount, at 1st I thought it was pretty cool until a majority of the races that take place at 7am start looking like 6pm where the sun is right in your face and as mentioned all of a sudden the same cars you were racing before gain an extra 500 HP, I haven't hit any invisible barriers yet but I have had my share of the map loading right before a 90 degree turn or trying to push someone out of my way only to have them plow me over like my car was made out of bubblewrap. The negative reviews are deserved but they are focusing on all the wrong aspects. They got the scaling right in carbon but they totally killed this game.

I have yet to play it, will probably have it come on gamefly in the near future. Really hated pro-street so wasnt in that much of a rush to get this one.

I joined the series at NFS Underground and I really liked it, I bypassed NFS Underground II but I though NFS Most Wanted was a fantastic game. Forget the racing in it just escaping from Police was the game for me and I ma looking forward to giving Undercover a play if it is the same.

BTW Carbon was awful, so I am not series biased.

yea this game is really fun, my little brother mostly plays it but its a lot like most wanted. i remember i got nfs carbon for the wii and only played it once lol. what a waste.

I dropped the NFS series after Porsche Unleashed. SInce then I have not enjoyed any NFS game.

NFS High Stakes was my favorite.

Porsche Unleashed was my favorite with the car damage models and in-car view and just simple stock car racing.

I played from the beginning at my friends house when it came out for PC - horrible. It's the first time I didn't know what to do in a racing game. Maybe it's just me but why did they have to add all this customization and NOS and these whack storylines to a racing game... I can understand it makes for a unique and new material in the series but it felt like I was playing a RPG on wheels.

Last edited:
I didn't play any of the series until carbon, and I was thoroughly unimpressed with that game. The corporate-hipster-hiphop whatever thing they were trying was embarrassing to watch.

I got completely hooked on this series at underground. I didn't really like underground, as it was quite restricted, but it was still a dam good game.

Underground 2 on the other hand was proberly one of my favorite games ever. I really loved the free roam. I completed it 10+ times.

Most wanted was also very good taking underground 2 and adding police and Blacklist.

Carbon was Ok, but i thought the way you take over sections of the city was just a tad to far.

I really did not like Pro-Street at all. It looked good and was very realistic, but it just wasn't a NFS imo. (maybe it was like an older NFS, but I havn't played any others.

I have yet to try Undercover as I wasa bit put off by Pro-Street, but i'll have a look at it in a while.

Is undercover like Most wanted and Underground 2 in gameplay or more like Pro-Street ?

Thanks
John

i loved Pro Street!!! it's like a hybrid between Gran Turismo and original NFS. it's a completely difference genre to other NFS games where the brake button/key doens't even need to be used. my addiction started w/ Underground II on Xbox, ever since i've played all the NFS games on PC - better graphics. haven't got Undercover yet, but it seems like a sequel to MW. a majority if ppl say Pro Street is f'ed up, but i reckon it's a 9.5/10 game. although, it does show that annoying opponent-gains-500HP-out of nowhere thing, esp in the races where you and your opponents use the same cars. other than that, it's a great addition to the series IMHO, even if it's a different sort of NFS game. i still love it.

can't wait till i get Undercover. any idea if the PSP version is any good? i wanna try that out as well.

Glad to see some Need for Speed fans here. I've played them all except for Underground 2. I was disappointed in the direction that the series was taking after Porsche Unleashed, but Most Wanted was one of the best in the series. Carbon wasn't bad but it wasn't as good as Most Wanted. I actually liked Pro Street eventhough it probably shouldn't have been called a need for speed game. EA could probably make a new racing series based off of pro street and it would do well. It's the same curse that happened to Sim City Societies. People expect the game to match the title. Undercover is a lot like Most Wanted. I think it's a worthy successor.

Before I tear into this game know that I am a huge NFS fan and have owned every one since NFS, as well as many other racing series such as Forza, PGR, GT, GTR and Ridge Racer. I've been playing racing games since I was 5 so it's not like I have no concept of racing games.

This game is garbage. The NFS series has always been arcadey, yes, I know this and love it about most of the NFS games. Undercovers driving dynamics however are hilariously bad. I can take turns at 150 mph and it will seem like I'm doing 20. Not only that but my 360 controller that works in many other PC titles won't work in Undercover. Theres not even an option to select it. The cars are in no way even remotely close in this game performance wise, as they are in real life. Now I'm not expecting pure realism here, but when a CTS-V is matched in performance by a VW Sirocco, you know that this wasn't made by anyone with a passion for racing or performance. Trying to drive with the keyboard is awful as I have to either constantly tap left and right to keep the car in a straight line and there's this weird half a second delay from when I press the key and the car responds. Not to mention it's easy as hell. I usually have the difficulty at the highest or second highest depending on the game and this feels wayyyyy to easy. I was constantly pulling at least a 30 second gap between me and 2nd place. This might be okay for some, but I like a challenge and need to have the computers or other players right on my *** if not in front of me to make it exciting. The modifications are very lackluster compared to Most Wanted or Carbon. Only 4 bodykits that all look like they should be on a primer coloured Civic with a fart can? Yeah, no thanks. This game feels unpolished and not ready for release. Even graphically it doesn't seem up to par. I know I'm being rather harsh but this game is by far the worst so far in the series as well as the worst I bought this year and if I could, I'd get my money back.

It's not all bad for me though, I find the damage effects to be pretty decent, nothing like GRID for example but they were good enough to let you know that you just bumped into that wall. The environment is pretty nice as well, I liked the setting and feeling of the city while I was driving around. While cruising around I felt that, had a little more time and effort be put into this game in the areas of driving dynamics, difficulty, and modifications, this could have been an awesome game.

Hot pursuit and Most wanted were my favourite out of the series with High Stakes coming in close behind. Prostreet was alright but I don't think it should have been branded a NFS game. They could have gone in a whole different direction with games like Prostreet like a few of you suggested earlier.

Only played NFS 3 Hot Pursuit and loved it back then. Downloaded a ton of car mods. My favorite was the police bus that I would stretch across a highway along with spike strips.

LAN play was fun as hell playing the cops against AI drivers.

Did any of the others ever recreate that?

Only played NFS 3 Hot Pursuit and loved it back then. Downloaded a ton of car mods. My favorite was the police bus that I would stretch across a highway along with spike strips.

LAN play was fun as hell playing the cops against AI drivers.

Did any of the others ever recreate that?

Probably Most Wanted, but like I said the series sort of changed directions after Porsche Unleashed.

Back