• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need guidance - trying to get the best value from a new workstation build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minraise

I'm interested in building a workstation that can handle the following activities without a problem:
  • running 4-8 simultaneous VMs (each requiring little CPU and memory)
  • web design in Photoshop/Illustrator
  • software development in Visual Studio and other IDEs
  • moderate video encoding/decoding
  • infrequently (~monthly) running simulations requiring raw computing power and as much RAM as possible

After doing some research, I've put together a few build configurations (CPU/Mobo/RAM only, budget < $700) that I'd love for you to critique:

[1] Phenom X3 720 Build ($267)

[2] Phenom X4 940 Build ($318)

[3] Core i7 C0 Build ($570)

[4] Core i7 Possible D0 Build ($600)

[5] Bloomfield Xeon W3520 D0 Build ($626)

[6] Suggest a build? (< $700)

My goal is the get the best value for the money, considering performance, longevity, and power consumption (as the machine will be on 24/7). I am also going to be overclocking to gain additional performance.

The question I am having trouble answering is "If I go from build X to build Y, is the price difference justified considering performance, longevity, and power savings?"

Regarding power savings, I'm fond of the i7 with D0 stepping because, compared to C0, it allows for higher overclocks at lower voltages.

Any and all advice/guidance/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Back