• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help building a retro PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so im building a retro gaming pc. i got for free a socket 462 A7V8X-LA motherboard for free from a local tech friend of mine who had no use for it. below is a pic of the board, it will have an athlon 1700+ cpu in it at stock speeds no overclock here, 640 megs of ram 2 cd rom drives 2 floppy drives and 2 80gig HDD's. can anyone tell me if the power supply in this link will power my system without any issues i got this for free as well the 12 volt rail has me a lil concerned since its low amps

edit gpu is a low profile AGP FX5200 128 meg

REF ANTEC SL350 3.jpg
asus.jpg

Last edited:
That SL350 should be just fine for that system. I see there is an older? SL350 with less amps on the +12V rail.

thanks for the tips i already own an i7 gaming pc this is simply to toy with and for retro games

I think you will be okay. A 350W PSU was pretty typical for custom rigs in that generation and it is a quality brand. What OS will you be running? The hardware is late 1990's I think, right around Y2K.

Last edited:
That SL350 should be just fine for that system. I see there is an older? SL350 with less amps on the +12V rail.

thanks for the tips i already own an i7 gaming pc this is simply to toy with and for retro games

Socket A and agp cards were 5V hungry, generally a high end athlon builds required between 25-30A at stock speeds. My Athlon build uses 34A on the 5V rail.
The main issue with retro rigs however are the caps and the fans. Check those out before anything else. The PSUs from antec were great quality but like most hardware from that time they used crappy capacitors.

Socket A and agp cards were 5V hungry, generally a high end athlon builds required between 25-30A at stock speeds. My Athlon build uses 34A on the 5V rail.
The main issue with retro rigs however are the caps and the fans. Check those out before anything else. The PSUs from antec were great quality but like most hardware from that time they used crappy capacitors.

my mobo has a 4pin cpu connector so no worries there but thanks for the info

Back