• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help choosing a PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaeldre

Registered
My poor 5-year-old Rosewill PSU that I bought from a friend is slowly on its way out. It's a 550W and, while it's been okay, it hasn't been great.

As far as brand, I'm either leaning towards Corsair or something from EVGA. My problem? I don't know what wattage to go with! I want to step it up to either 600 or 650 so I can have some wiggle room should I decide to upgrade anything. I've tried a few PSU calculators and one tells me 650 minimum and another tells me...450 minimum. o_O

Here's what's going on inside my case:

Intel i3-3220
ASUS motherboard (unsure of the model number off the top of my head)
4GB Corsair DDR3 RAM (two sticks of 2)
GTX 560
ASUS DVD Drive
x3 HDDs
Will be upgrading to the Antec Twelve Hundred case soon, so at least 7 fans.

Pretty basic system. Aside from my MMOs (SWTOR and WoW) I do a lot of PC gaming and I'm big on performance.

If someone could point me in the right direction (preferably soon as I'm ready to buy now), that would be great!

We have a list in this section that's stickied. Stick to it and you'll be fine.

What's your price range?

sould find a good one around 650-800w range but depends on the price range

It's not a question of what PSU to buy, it's more a question of what wattage would be the best for my system. As far as a budget, I'm looking to spend no more than $100. Maybe $130.

Grab a Seasonic G-550. Its overkill for your system, but its within your budget, and allows for later expansion :thup:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys!

I ended up going with the Corsair CX600 (I'm kind of a name-brand person).

Corsair isn't bad, but Seasonic is the name brand in PSUs.

Seasonic and Enermax are what you should be looking at for top of the line stuff.

Name brand? You realise Seasonic is one of the biggest names in psus right? The G550 is far superior to the cx600 Lol. But the cx600 will do you fine too. Just remember names aren't everything. And the cx series is in fact very average.

Back