• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help clarifying a few things before i build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TopAce

Disabled
Hello all,

As you probably heard in some ther posts, i plan on building a PC. I got all my componets ready to order, but am very nervous this PC won't work. I have some questions that might make me feel better about building a PC.

1) Does the back of the case come with the slots to put in mouse, keyboard, moniter, ethernet cable, etc...? What kind of plug-in do mice have now a days?

2) What is the basic procedure of building a PC? Does this sound right in order of what to do?

- Open Case
- Power Supply
- CPU
- Memory
- Install motherboard
- DVD-ROM
- DVD-RW
- Hard Drive
- Install Video Card
- Boot it up and set 1st boot to DVD-ROM
- Put OS CD in
- Install OS
-Ready to go!

IS that good? Should i install the optical drives/hard drives before or after the motherboard is installed?

3) Any other advice i should know that will make me more comfortable about building this PC??

Thanks,

Ace

1. technically after you install the motherboard (the ports are on the motherboard) so they will be on the back of the case. Mice can still use PS/2 ports (I recommend that port) or usb depending on what mouse you're using.
2. That order seems great. It's the easiest to install the cpu, and HS when the motherbaord is outside of the case.
3. Just never forget to put a thin smooth layer of thermal paste preferably AS5 on the cpu before you attach the HS.

TopAce said:
Hello all,

As you probably heard in some ther posts, i plan on building a PC. I got all my componets ready to order, but am very nervous this PC won't work. I have some questions that might make me feel better about building a PC.
Stick with OCForums, we will make it work :)

1) Does the back of the case come with the slots to put in mouse, keyboard, moniter, ethernet cable, etc...? What kind of plug-in do mice have now a days?
The motherboard will come with an I/O shiled that will for the inputs on the back of your motherboard, you just pop out the existing one in your case and put the new one in. Most mouses come USB and have an adapter for PS2 (the round port) if you want to use it.

2) What is the basic procedure of building a PC? Does this sound right in order of what to do?
You have it mostly right, follow these steps:
Open the case and install the backplate (I/O Shield) and power supply, and put the standoffs in to mount your motherboard
Put in the processor and heatsink/fan, and the RAM into your motherboard
Install the motherboard
Install the video card
Plug in the switches from your case to the headers on the motherboard
Plug in the power connectors from the power supply to the motherboard

BOOT UP FOR THE FIRST TEST - this will make sure your processor and RAM is installed properly and working and that your PC will POST; make sure the BIOS recognizes your processor and RAM. It won't boot up because there is no hard drive or optical drive installed, but it should POST.

Install your hard drives and DVD drives

BOOT UP FOR SECOND TEST - this will make sure the BIOS recognizes your hard drives and optical drives, you can also set the Boot order in your BIOS to boot from the DVD drive

Install any other PCI cards or other devices
Put in your OS CD and install it!

There is not only one order to building a computer, but this is the order that I use, and I believe most people use a similar one as well.

3) Any other advice i should know that will make me more comfortable about building this PC??
Just let us know if you have any questions! :D

Looks like you have the right idea. It's really not very hard as long as you follow the directions and READ YOUR MOTHERBOARD MANUAL. This is very important as it tells you where to connect everything to your motherboard.

Good luck!

i had the same questions, ask these people, they're fricken geniuses

and readng the manual isn't important for anything..except computers

And most things only fit in one place anyway..

Shouldn't be hard to do, just take your time and enjoy it! Make sure your cables are neat and stuff like that. Also, I always install the PSU last, so I don't have the power cables all over the place when I'm working on the other bits and bobs.

Go for it!

When doing a build I usually do it as follows:

- Prepare case, install PSU, have all cables and bits and pieces out the way.
- Install Motherboard in case, plug in PSU, have PSU plugged in but not turned on (by the switch on the PSU itself) so that the case is grounded. Do not work with the PSU plugged in and switched ON!
- Install CPU, apply thermal interface material, seat heatsink (with fan removed) and make sure its secure.
- Install RAM, check its secure. This can be tricky - make sure the RAM is in the right way (notch along RAM is off centre) and push evenly on both ends of each DIMM to make sure you dont damage the stick - it should pop in with a satisfying click :)
- Remove relevant I/O covers from case (bits that cover where the plugs from the expansion cards are visible) and install Graphics card and screw down - if its AGP, make sure that once screwed in the Graphics card has not popped out the socket at one end slightly (as can happen). Install PCI cards, again it is important that they are evenly seated.

- Install hard disks and optical drives into case. Some cases have a removable cage so you can pull out the cage, screw in the hard disks, and then just slot the cage back in.

- Hook up data cables. SATA cables to the hard drives if applicable. Flat IDE ribbon cables into hard drives (if not SATA hard drives) and into the Optical drives.

- Power cables: Largest plug goes into motherboard, usually near the CPU socket. Small 4 pin 12v cable, if the board takes one, usually plugs in to a small square socket around the middle of the board. Optical Drives and PATA (not SATA) hard disks take a molex connector each (long thin 4 pin plug). SATA disks have their own long thin plugs. Some graphics cards also need a molex plug plugged into them.

- Attach cooling. Install fan on to heatsink, additional case fans (traditionally intakes in the side panel if you have fans on your side panel and use the one below the PSU as an exhaust).

- Hook up case switch and reset buttons and LEDs. (manual for motherboard will have the pinouts in it)

And that should be it done (unless I forgot something).

When you are building this, it may be useful to have another PC on, with AIM or MSN connected - feel free to IM me when building if you have any questions.

A few tips:
- Magnetic tools are best avoided
- If it won't go, don't force it. Take your time, double check what you are trying to do before pushing anything too hard.
- Don't freak if it doesn't POST first time - just power off, and check everything.
- Hook up the internal speaker so that if there are any problems you can hear and check the beep codes to see whats wrong.
- HAVE FUN :)

David

Actually, one more question that has been bugging me. you guys say put thermal paste on. whats that? Is that necessary, or do i not need it?

Yes you do need it. It goes between the cpu and the heatsink and the heat from the CPU transfers to the heatsink through that. Get some Artic Silver 5.

TopAce said:
Actually, one more question that has been bugging me. you guys say put thermal paste on. whats that? Is that necessary, or do i not need it?

Well if you want your pc to saty on then I'd say its necessary. Its this goo that goes inbetween your heatsink and cpu. Its what transfers heat between the two so it wont shutdown for getting to hot. So its usually white, sometimes silverish color and you smear a nice even layer on your cpu core or all over it depending on what kind of cpu you are getting....

So yea put a nice even layer all over the cpu and heatsink and you should be ready to go with that. But it cant be too thick or too thin depending what kind of TIM (thermal interface material) you use.

[edit] Oh man you beat me to it musawi.

Ok, now how to you use it? I'll be building a A64 3500+ Winchester. How to i put it on without ruining my PC?

Ace

Thermal interface material, such as Arctic Silver 5 (the TIM of choice here at OC Forums, I would say) fills in the microscopic gaps in the surface of the heatsink and the CPU core, ensuring better contact and thus better transfer of heat.

Heatsinks tend to come with their own small pad of goop, although something like Arctic Silver 5 will perform better than the standard generic goop.

I usually my hand in a small plastic bag or a rubber glove and take a small drop of the TIM and rub it gently onto the core of the CPU, making a small thin layer of TIM on the CPU core and then attach the heatsink.

double check the dip switches and jumpers and i recomend to install the bare minimum for the first boot then u can come back and install the sound card 2nd optical drive, etc ... and dont spook your self out building a computer is easy just rember to touch the computer case before u do any thing to ground your self then just read the manuals its pretty idiot proof just take your time

Back