• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help, L2 cache bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Octoman

I have a 2100+ that has been running in my system for some time, the specs are in my sig. But I think I may be having trouble with it. Recently it started with what appears to be a basd NeverWinterNight game save, that causes me trouble when I try to load it. I primarily get an error with something called atioglxx.dll and a host of other *.dll files when I try and load it. I check the error report and there are many other *.dll files that it reports when it the game crashes. Secondly, while playing DoD (HL mod) my frame rate has gone to the dogs, BIG TIME! I swapped out my CPU with a Duron 1300, and my CPU performs slightly better than it does in DoD. Also just in case it was my memory I ran memtest86 to check it out.

This is where things start to get interesting. Under the portion where is shows the L1 cache amount and speed it displays 128k and 10580 MB/s

and for L2 cache it displays Unknown !!!!?:eek:

So I checked out my brothers computer that has a 1700+ in it and it displayed a correct 256k of L2 cache. Hmmmm I checked the Duron in my mother board currently and it displayed 64k L2 cache. So I put my 2100+ in another mother board and fired it up with memtest86 and on that motherboard it again displayed L2 - Unknown ...

Does this mean that I fried my L2 cache? Any thoughts

Yeah run 3d mark. That's when I figured something was wrong . My score went from 18100 down to 14350. It turned out my Barton 3000 had a burnt out l4 . Also I couldn't reinstall windows xp without losing files and games messed up with saves and files would be corrupt when downloading and installing.

I ran 3dmark2003 and my results are just about right !?!?!?

However when I ran Aquamark3 my score dropped from 30000ish to 20000 !?!?!?

Any thoughts? Maybe I will ask in the video section, I am starting to think that maybe its not my CPU.

Back