• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help oc 7850k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grifos

Registered
Hi to everyone. I have an A10 7850k at 3.7 Ghz and a mobo Asrock A88m G/3.1. I want to oc the proccesor but I am total newbie to the whole OC subject. I have searched through the forum but I didnt find any tutorial for noobs. Anyone willing to help? I want an oc at normal framework not extreme situations :)
Pc specs:
Case: Z9 Neo Black
Cpu: Amd A10 7850k 3.7Ghz
Gpu: Radeon 7870 x2 crossfire
Mobo: Asrock A88m G/3.1
PSU: 750watt
RAM: 8GB 2400mhz
CoolerMaster Nepton 120xl
Thanks in advance!

The 7850K is already pushing it's limits at stock, I see you have a decent cooler not great but OK. You can likely get a small OC just by upping the multiplier in the BIOS and leaving the voltage on auto. I would start there. Once in Windows check stability with Prime95 and watch your temperatures with AMD Overdrive just don't use it to overclock. AMD OD is one of the more accurate for the AMD APUs for monitoring the temperatures but it gives you a distance to max not an actual temperature.

I am really glad you answered! Thanks a lot. When you say a bit you mean for example at 4.0-4.5 ?

Probably in that range. I have a 7870 here but it's been a while since I tinkered with it. I just remember that the voltage requirements went up quite fast. Try setting it to 40x and see if it'll boot. If it does test it a bit and post some pics of the CPUz CPU and memory tabs and a pic of AMDOD with it under load. That'll give us a good idea of where you are sitting for temps and voltages

cpu.png
It booted up normally but when I opened a game to see whats going on, the fps dropped enormously.... It was so laggy

- - - Updated - - -

Also cpu usage is always at 100%. Dont know if that is ok..

- - - Updated - - -

Temperature is at 42.6C

What I want to see is under load. start the stability test then click on CPU status that should give you temps under load. AMD OD stability test isn't too stressful but it's a start
That FPS drop could be throttling. Check your BIOS for APM and disable it if you find it

I selected all at stability test and pressed START. During the test I screenshot this.
cpu load.png

- - - Updated - - -

Also the game fps is all good after i disabled the APM :)

The cpu usage after a while remains still at 100% . And also game lagging comes again :( althought i disabled APM

In some BIOS there a power setting listed in Amps. You might want to have a look for that. Once you OC you're getting out of specs and the motherboard might be having problems keeping up. You may need a fan blowing on the VRM section since that AIO takes away any air movement in that area that you would normally see from an air cooler

I have seen a youtube video with a guy that has same mobo and cpu as me. Is it ok to try his method?
Sorry if its innapropriate to post youtube links.

You can try his method, just skip the iGP overclock of 900 MHz since you're using GFX cards

Well I tried it and until now with an hour of pc use and a bit gaming all seems good. Also this is the stability test now:
cpu load.png

AMD OD stability test is not really the one you want to use: too light. Try Prime95, OCCT or Real Bench.

Like Tír na nÓg says hit that with Prime95 and it'll be a different story. Temps will be a lot warmer

Well after a while I noticed the temperature went too high. About 77c. I have read that max temp for my cpu is 72 so I disabled the oc. Is it cooling systems fault?

You should be good with the Nepton. It is a powerful AIO for a CPU like yours.

CRanks the fans to max maybe? Or check the mount. Oh, yes, and try lowering the vcore: you should be able to run it in the 1.32v range for 4.3GHz. Maybe less.

Diffrent story, but I used to run an [email protected] with 1.32v.

Having a bit of a problem. I can open any programm, i cant even restart my pc. I have returned everything back to normal but i get these errors while trying opening any program. Help please!
22243933_10213760997522198_1534444735_o.jpg
22219169_10213760997282192_1420128681_o.jpg

Overclocking does have it's pitfalls if your system isn't stable. You can always try again just take it one step at a time and test it thoroughly along the way

You should be good with the Nepton. It is a powerful AIO for a CPU like yours.

CRanks the fans to max maybe? Or check the mount. Oh, yes, and try lowering the vcore: you should be able to run it in the 1.32v range for 4.3GHz. Maybe less.

Diffrent story, but I used to run an [email protected] with 1.32v.

From my experience he would need close to 1.45 to be Prime95 stable.

Back