• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help OC'in Athlon ii x2 270.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brooklyn_Guy

im on tight budget...caint afford to go get new processor right now. I got Amd athlon ii x2 270...its 3.4 ghz right now and i heard it can hit 4 ghz easily....im running slightly up graded cooling system from stock...all i want is to over clock to 3.8ghz..no more....i have 4 gb of 1600 ram... i read some where that all i have to do is raise bus speed slightly? and possibly lower ram speed? all on stock voltage? if someone can walk me through this i would really appreciate it....im the super noob over clocker...rolf. thanks fellas.:salute:

Last edited:
This thread is in the benchmarking section... best in the AMD CPU section I would imagine (I'll report the thread to get it moved. :)).

That said, AMD isnt my thing, however in the AMD CPU section, and in my signature, are a couple of guies for your generation of CPU. Take a look at those, perhaps even get started (plenty of info to do so), and report back... or if you have any question, ask away! But check out the guide first so you have an idea of what is needed/is to be done.

You will need to lower the starting speed of your ram. I would start it at 1066 and work towards 1333 just to make sure the CPU IMC (integrated memory controller) is not overtaxed by trying to run at 1600 mhz. It is only rated for 1333 mhz.

You will need to lower your HT Link Frequency multiplier from 10x to 8x and your CPUNB frequency multiplier from 10x to 9x.

You will need to raise the FSB (front side bus) in 5 mhz increments as you overclock and when you encounter instability you will need to raise the CPU voltage to counter that.

But before you do any of those things, you need to check out your CPU socket temps and your core temps to see how much temp headroom you have for overclocking.

So, please download and install these three standard helper programs that we use constantly around here: CPU-z, HWMOnitor and Prime95. Post back when you have them installed.

Please list in some detail your system information. All we know now is that you have a Athlon II X2 270. Tell us about make and model of CPU cooler, motherboard, PSU (and wattage), memory, case, and video card. What OS are you using?

im working with an ASROCK FX mobo AM3, Athlon x2 270 regor 65watt, 700 watt power supply...Ge Force GTX 285"super clocked" ,4gb 1600 ram, Cool master 310, 3 120 mm fans and 1 80 mm fan on a heat sink i took from a quad core amd fx4100 for additional cooling in future cause i knew i was gonna OC my processor eventually....im running at 25c idle and 42 maxin my tower out. thanks again guys.

ok let me try again...

I have done some tinkering and alot of reading...I have managed to OC my CPU from 3.4 to 3.774 straight from my AMD overdrive software. I slowly raised my bus speed to 222 from 200 and lowered my HT multiplier from 10x to 9x. Im stable and running cool. Im trying to acheive 4.0 but need to be pulled out of OC noobdom by and AMD vet. I have also made some upgrades so heres my layout now:
-ASROCK mobo #960GM/U3S3 FX
-Athlon II X2 270 Regor
-2 sticks of 4gb Kingston "Genesis" Ram 1600mhz "8gb total"
-700 watt power supply
-Upgraded CPU heatsink. "over sized" and upgraded fan
-2 120mm case fans.
-Cool master Mid 310 tower
-Ge Force GTX 285 "super clocked"
-LG writer/burner
-350 GB HD
Now heres where im running at OC'd at 3.774:
-Hyper link transport: 1998 mhz
-Memory frequency: 740.37 mhz
-PCIe speed: 100 mhz
Settings:
CPU Vid: 1.4000v , NB Vid: 1.1750v , Memory VCCM: 1.800v , mGPU: 1.100v , Sideport: 1.820v , BUS SPEED: 222 , HT Multi/ x9 , Core Multiplyer 17x.
What do i have to do to get this stable at 4.0? im running currently at 25c idle and 37c maxed temp wise. When i approach 3.9 i blue screen or system shuts down and reboots back to stock default settings....i have not touched bios yet and know theres limitations to using this amd overdrive software.
Question: Does my hyper transport link speed have to cap at 2000mhz? why or why not? is that the sweet spot?
Question: My current ram speed is memory frequency x2? so im running at 1480.74?
Please any help would be appreciated. You guys got me this far already. 4.0 stable is the endgame...what voltages have to be adjusted to hit that 4.0...and other settings have to be adjusted to hit that? thankyou guys.

Have you downloaded and installed the three programs I mentioned in post #3? If not, please do.

Please run CPU-z and attach pics of these three tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". To attach pics directly to your post, first crop and save the images with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced at the bottom of any new post window. When the advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip icon at the top. This will load the file browser/upload tool and the rest will be obvious. These three CPU-z tab pics will tell us a great deal about your bios settings and your frequencies. Also about manufacture's recommendations for memory timings and voltages at various frequencies.

Do you know if it's even reasonable to expect 4.0 ghz out of that CPU on air cooling? Have you researched that?

Back