• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Over Clocking Taking no Effect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AH64Driver

This is my first AMD build, and I’m still learning about the hobby so bear with me.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
AMD Wraith Cooler
Asrock B550M AC
EVGA RTX 2080 Super
2x8 GB DDR4 (3600 mghz)
EVGA 750 watt PS

I’m having some trouble with my setup, at stock BIOS settings (3800 MGHZ, 1.10v) will run Modern Warfare (I play other titles as well, but I wanted to try OC because the game is CPU intensive) fine, but I’m only seeing about 70 (albeit stable) FPS in game. I was under the impression that this build would perform past that mark without OC. Is this normal? Additionally, when I try to OC, I see nominal, almost non-existent increases in game performance. Went all the way up to 4500 mghz (max CPU clock speed, and 1.4v). Even turned on XMP and clocked ram to 3200 mghz. Still hovering around 70-80 FPS in game. All drivers are up to date on all HDWR. Any help you might be able to provide is greatly appreciated.

1. Most modern CPUs will give you similar results if you play at higher display settings (with some exceptions). Only lower display resolution/settings show FPS gain on faster CPUs.
2. Your CPU has a boost clock up to 4.7GHz. It runs at about ~4.2-4.4GHz most of the time when more cores are in use. If you manually "overclock" it to 4.5GHz then it runs the same as at auto/default settings or even worse.
3. These processors are not overclocking at ambient temps, reasonable voltages, and standard power limits. Keep it at auto settings and will be fine.
4. If you are using an AMD cooler then your CPU is overheating and limiting its maximum frequency under a higher load. This cooler is a joke and I have no idea why AMD is even adding it to CPUs which are heating up so much. I guess they calculated that barely anyone loads the CPU more than ~30% so it still can boost on single cores up to its specified frequency. If you use higher series tower coolers or 280/360 AIO then you will see that the CPU keeps about 200-300MHz higher clock under higher load.

+1 to the above...

What resolution do you play at? With a 2080S, I assume 2560x1440 or higher, right? As Woomack said, you tend to get less to little/no improvements with the CPU at higher resolutions. It's firaly GPU bound there and above.

Since we don't know your resolution or settings, it's pointless to guess... so here is a link. :)
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...re-benchmark-test-performance-analysis/5.html

Back