• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help OCing a 3870K APU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Codgedodger

Got a 3870K in last week with high hopes of getting this thing around 3.6-3.7ghz. Did my research on how to overclock it. Pretty simple which is what I need since this is my first real OC I've ever done. lol

Been tinkering around with this APU and the most stable ive been able to get it to is 3.4ghz on OCCT. Left it on over night and was still running with all flying colors. Try 3.5ghz and with in a minute in OCCT the test fails. Tried adjusting voltages and what not and to no success.

Specs:
AMD A8-3870K (obviously)
ASRock A55 PRO3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 2133
Antec Three Hundred
RAIDMAX HYBRID 530W

img0723hb.jpg

img0725vr.jpg

img0724cx.jpg

Sooo I need some advice to get to 3.6+... ;)

Each set of VRM is only able to deliver so much current, as the ammount of current rises (as you overclock the CPU) the work load on them goes up, as the work load goes up they get hot, as they get hot they lose efficiency, as they lose efficiency they draw more current to produce the current required to run the proc (they take power from a 12v source and bring it down to the voltage set for the CPU) as they continue to get hotter, they draw even more power while becoming less efficient.

Keeping everything cooler makes it run more efficiently, this is why all high end components have heatsinks on the VRM.

Back