• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help overclocking a FX 6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bimorx

Hello guys!

It's my first time posting here, sorry if i posted in the wrong section.

So, i joined the forum because i oc'd my cpu, but i dont know if it is in a good setting...
Let me explain, i have a FX-6100 processor, and a Cooler Master Seidon 120v, 2 front-case fans, and i had to make a push-pull on my radiator because it does not fit properly in the back of the case, so i needed a fan there to "hold" the radiator, pulling air from the rad., and the 2400 RPM fan (which comes with the pump) pushing air into the radiator.
The cooling is ok, my temps are relatively fine (30~38c idle, 45~63c load. In fact just 1 core hits 63c, the other 2 cores stays below 59c) considering that i live in Brazil, and the climate here is pretty warm.
So i just want to know if i've just got the max out of my CPU. So this is my OC:

FSB: 230 MHz
CPU Multiplier: 19.0x (Core Clock: 4.37 GHz)
HT Link: 3000 MHz
RAM: 1532 MHz (dual 4gb, very similar timings)
Vcore: 1.488v
LLC: Ultra High (which drive my Vcore to 1.51v easily)

I wanted to get 4.7 GHz with my CPU or at least 4.5ghz, but my vcore is currently at 1.51v and, as far as i know, the "secure" value is 1.55v, and i really dont want to get there. But if i try to set 0.5 in multiplier, 1 or 2 cores fail on Prime95, and if i set higher FSB, more than 2 cores will fail and i get BSOD some times depending on how much FSB i set.

So can anyone please give me some tips to make a better OC, or i'm really blocked?
My specs are below, dont know if you guys needs this information but i use my gear for gaming (some games i got HUGE FPS drop, that's why i'm overclocking until i can get a better cpu) and software development (nothing cpu intensive):

CPU-> FX 6100 (4.37 GHz OC)
MOBO-> GA-990XA-R5 (rev 1.0)
RAM-> 2 x 4 GB
GPU-> R9 270
PSU-> Corsair CX600

Sorry for my bad english, hope you understand. :)

Almost all of the folks here are going to want you to post something like the image I have attached below. Also; the more specific you can be about your whole build the better, including settings you have changed in bios. You can check out my sig for reference. Pics of your rig can't hurt, either. AS far as the rams concerned, you have each stick at different timings? Thats probably not a good idea. I'd also bring my HT back down to stock frequency too. Furthermore, you should probably start off with a straight multiplier overclock, that way you're not cause instabilty elsewhere with your fsb.
Download HWMonitor Free, CPU-Z. Run P95 on blend mode for 20 minutes and post back with a screenshot.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html <--This is important
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html <--This is important. Folks are going to want to see the cpu, memory, and spd tabs.

4800FSBeXtreme.PNG

Last edited:
Almost all of the folks here are going to want you to post something like the image I have attached below. Also; the more specific you can be about your whole build the better, including settings you have changed in bios. You can check out my sig for reference. Pics of your rig can't hurt, either. AS far as the rams concerned, you have each stick at different timings? Thats probably not a good idea. I'd also bring my HT back down to stock frequency too. Furthermore, you should probably start off with a straight multiplier overclock, that way you're not cause instabilty elsewhere with your fsb.
Download HWMonitor Free, CPU-Z. Run P95 on blend mode for 20 minutes and post back with a screenshot.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html <--This is important
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html <--This is important. Folks are going to want to see the cpu, memory, and spd tabs.

[IMAGE]

First, thanks for the reply!

But sorry, maybe i did not explained well.
This is not my first OC "Profile", i tried lots of configurations but this one is the best i could get on. I already tried overclocking only with te multiplier, but i got a lot of errors, and yet my best clock was 4.2 GHz, errors like ILLEGAL SUMOUT, rounding errors, and BSODs. Of course, i got these errors with 1.488v and 22.5x (4.5ghz), so i had to go back to 4.2 GHz, and if so, i've read that is better OC combining FSB and Multiplier, then i ended with 4.37 GHz raising the FSB a bit. But any advice is welcome! I'm just telling some earlier experience xD

And the SSs u requested (for monitoring i use HWInfo, is that a problem?) running Prime95 : prime_blend.png

welcome to the forum.
you are clocking by the fsb and this can make it a bit tough at first, due to the fact that it effects a few things at the same time.
first thing I would like you to do is go into bios and slow the ram speed down one notch and retest.

welcome to the forum.
you are clocking by the fsb and this can make it a bit tough at first, due to the fact that it effects a few things at the same time.
first thing I would like you to do is go into bios and slow the ram speed down one notch and retest.

Thank you! :D

Well, i'm stable at 4.37 GHz, passed some hours of Prime95. Then i should lower my ram speed and raise the multiplier, or fsb?
Sorry i'm afraid that i dont understood o:

Back