• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking a Z87 motherboard for an i7-4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m715

Well I got a i7-4770k deal from staples so now I’m looking for a good Z87 board but I’m so confused as there is so many boards… I’ve been running a ASRock Z77 Ext 4 w/3570k and have been very happy with, was able to hit 5.0GHz and ran stable at 4.5-4.8GHz.

Uses:
- mild to moderate overclocking
- no custom H2O loop, cpu on a sealed water cooler
- ability to crossfire
- fullsize atx board prefered
- gaming, htpc, possible file server (many SATA ports is a plus)

Budget: $100-150 after rebate or @ staples up to $225

If possible I’d like to get the motherboard from staples as I have rewards and a gift card and they now have a good price match policy…they seem to have MSI & Gigabyte boards

For example with the current coupons & ink rewards I have I could get…
~$115? - MSI™ Z87 MPOWER
~$135? - GIGABYTE™ GA-Z87X-UD5H Intel® Z87
Other Staples Z87 Motherboards

Newegg:
$139.99 AR – ASRock Z87 Extreme6 Z87
- ASRock Extreme4 Z87 & Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H both seem like good choices but don't have as good a sales right now...

Any thoughts, suggestions?
Feedback on the MSI Z87 MPOWER? Probably overkill for what I need but right in my price range with the current sales...
MSI MPOWER vs. GIGABYTE UD5H?

Last edited:
Well with the PM and coupons I ended up ordering the MSI Z87 MPOWER...
It even looks like I should be able to submit the $10 rebate as well :D
Normally I research things more...now I just have to read up on all the features the board has :p
Although I'm still not sure which board would have been better the MPOWER or UD5H?

The MSI board should work fine for what you listed that you plan to do. I doubt that you will be able to overclock the 4770k much more than the speeds that you listed for your 3570k.

The MSI board should work fine for what you listed that you plan to do. I doubt that you will be able to overclock the 4770k much more than the speeds that you listed for your 3570k.

Thanks for the reply, I've got the MSI board sitting on my table...I just need some time to put everything together and try it out. I had actually downgraded to a i3-3225 CPU so the 4770k should be a noticeable upgrade :D

Although I will say the i3 has done very well so far, even with BF4...

Back