• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help selecting a 8-bit WS LCD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shift_

I'm sad to say it, my 21" sony trinitron is dying :( sometimes when I switch tabs or just switch windows in windows, due to the color contract of some windows the image stretches in all directions and shinks for about 10 seconds then stabilizes.

So I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm looking for an 8-bit panel, I have used TN panels in the past, and I can notice a difference between the 6-bit and 8bit panels.

I just picked up a ViewSonic VX2435wm through a bestbuy labour day sale, colors are great (once set up) but it's not without it's flaws, which is why I'm trying to see if there are any alternatives I should look at.

Now my machine isn't a supergaming machine, I only really play games like TFC (at 1920x1200), but there is quite a bit of considerable ghosting, I mean VERY noticeable, down to the point where it bugs the hell out of me.

The BIGGEST complaint I have with the viewsonic is through the DVI port on my 9700 pro, if I turn off the monitor, leave the pc on, and turn the monitor back on, it says no signal, and I'll need to reboot (but the computer still functions, because I can start foobar using bluetooth and select songs) it doesn't do this using VGA, but I'd like to use DVI (it seemed easier on the eyes, and was A LOT sharper)

I don't know anything about LCD panels, so I'm here asking for advice :)

I've been looking at the LG L246WP (I think it uses the same panel as the viewsonic, and needs to have sharper text) and the BenQ FP241VW ($$$$$), they have all the inputs I want (the BenQ is quite a bit more expensive), but I'm unsure if I need to use those inputs, and I'm still debating if 24" is too big (if anyone has any way to determine appropriate viewing distances let me know) I haven't listed the dell 2407 because I perfer to buy locally for eas of exchange, as I know people who after 2-3 years have had LCDs that fade considerably, so getting extended warranty is something I'd be getting.

So here are my requirements:
1) at least 20" widescreen
2) 8-bit panel
3) Less Ghosting (I don't think there is an LCD that won't have ghosting)

IF possible:
Something that has a higher refresh rate than 60hz, I know I have to get used to it, but having a higher refresh rate would be nice :)
Inputs for me to plug in my wii and future xbox 360

Thanks

Last edited:
I fixed the DVI problem...it was some option in the display options

So are you gonna keep the Viewsonic, or are you still interested in other options?

I fixed the DVI problem, but the ghosting is pretty bad so I'll end up returning it if I can find something better.

Back