• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help to custom cool on CM storm trooper

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the0caesar

hi everyone

so i have a CM storm trooper and im trying to custom cool that baby but i dont know anything about custom cooling so i thought i ask ppl with exp in that.

i have FX8320 and AMD R9 290x (still didnt order one) and planing on getting another 290x down the road.

i went to Frozen cpu and there was like **** load of different kind of stuff with different sizes and shapes and i got lost trying to pick them up.

so i guess what im asking is for someone to be kind enough to pick everything for me so i dont end up picking something wrong or missing something cus i live in the mid east and ordering overseas so it will cost me a fortune to order and i wanna get it right.

also if anyone cud recommend a PSU and how much watt do i need, that wud be awesome

cost is not a problem

thanks in advance

Welcome to OCFs! :D

Take a look and read our watercooling stickies up top in our watercooling thread section. Lots of information to get your feet wet, pun intended. :p So take days to weeks even months for some to better understand what watercooling is about and what it will take. It's a hobby so take your time and don't rush it. Hope to hear from you once you're done. :salute:

Like Jack says, take a look at the stickies, and definitely take your time and make sure you understand everything involved, and that you still want to move forward with watercooling after learning what you can.
If you have any questions after doing some reading or need some clarification on anything, feel free to ask :)

alright here i come with a question..

all what made me think of custom watercooling is the 290x im gonna get and since its rep about being so damn hot i wanted to make sure i get the best of that card by cooling it properly.

i have a corsair H110 cooling my CPU which is doing fantastic and i thought of doing the same with my soon-to-be-delivered 290x but i cudnt find any closed loop ones that live up to my satisfaction.

so i thought of making a custom loop just for the GPU using a rad-res-pump combo and a GPU water block and install that at the bottom of my CM storm trooper case.

i tried to figure out the measurements and what might go wrong during installation especially about going P/P config on that one since its in the bottom and there's some air restriction but i again have no experience in that field and came here to get ur opinions about which is the best applicable solution in my "case" :p

thanks

Gotcha. That makes sense. For crossfire, if you're really considering it as a serious possibility then you really want to try and get enough rad space the first time around when you build your loop.

Personally, I would want at least a 360 and a 240 rad. Preferably 2x360 to keep things cool & quiet. (this is for CPU + 2 GPU)

If you're doing just the GPU, then you could probably get away with a 120 mounted as an intake with a push/pull setup. Keep in mind this is going to dump a fair amount of hot air into your case. Ideally, I'd want a 240 for the R9 290X. These suckers do run warm, but they LOVE water lol.

Gotcha. That makes sense. For crossfire, if you're really considering it as a serious possibility then you really want to try and get enough rad space the first time around when you build your loop.

Personally, I would want at least a 360 and a 240 rad. Preferably 2x360 to keep things cool & quiet. (this is for CPU + 2 GPU)

If you're doing just the GPU, then you could probably get away with a 120 mounted as an intake with a push/pull setup. Keep in mind this is going to dump a fair amount of hot air into your case. Ideally, I'd want a 240 for the R9 290X. These suckers do run warm, but they LOVE water lol.

ok one last question.. this is what im gonna order.. is there anything i can add or change?

Swiftech MCR220 Drive Rev3 Series Heat Exchangers w/ Integrated Pump and Reservoir - (MCR220-DRIVE-R3)

PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Bloodshed Red (PFLEXA10-34-R) w/ Free Sys Prep

EK G1/4 Thread Perfect Seal Compression Fitting - 13mm ID x 19mm OD (1/2" x 3/4") - Black (4 of these)

EK R9-290X VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Black CSQ (EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black)

EK Radeon R9-290X VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Nickel (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel)

i ordered a reference design 290x so i can install the waterblock on it with no incompatibility

and for the heat im think of making the case into two zones (bottom front-GPU rad intake P/P and front fans as exhaust) (top back-CPU H110 intake in push and rare fan as exhaust) sounds good ??

ok one last question.. this is what im gonna order.. is there anything i can add or change?

Swiftech MCR220 Drive Rev3 Series Heat Exchangers w/ Integrated Pump and Reservoir - (MCR220-DRIVE-R3)

PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - 10ft Retail Pack - Bloodshed Red (PFLEXA10-34-R) w/ Free Sys Prep

EK G1/4 Thread Perfect Seal Compression Fitting - 13mm ID x 19mm OD (1/2" x 3/4") - Black (4 of these)

EK R9-290X VGA Liquid Cooling RAM Backplate - Black CSQ (EK-FC R9-290X Backplate - Black)

EK Radeon R9-290X VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal + Nickel (EK-FC R9-290X - Acetal+Nickel)

i ordered a reference design 290x so i can install the waterblock on it with no incompatibility

and for the heat im think of making the case into two zones (bottom front-GPU rad intake P/P and front fans as exhaust) (top back-CPU H110 intake in push and rare fan as exhaust) sounds good ??

anyone ??

Are you just doing a GPU only loop? It looks to be from your listing. Also I want to point out that your bleeding process will be a pain since your highest point will be the GPU block. Assuming your radiator will be placed on the bottom.

I am bit confused with your two zone configuration. Can you possibly draw a diagram for us?

Also, I found a nice link to a image of someones build to give you an idea what it would look like in your case. Make sure you take measurements and finalize your plan before purchasing.

Back