• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help upgrading

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jrank001

Hi Folks:

I'm in need of upgrading my system and need some help. I've been out of touch for a long time and don't know what's out there. My components are below. I just use it mostly for watching videos, Netflix, YouTube, surfing the web, excel & word. No video editing or anything like that but would like the capability if I wanted to.

I'd like to reuse most of what I have if possible. I've had some scares lately with booting and HDD issues and think its time. I need a new SSD also. Mine is getting or is old LOL. I have a budget of $400 - $500 dollars.

Thanks for the help.

Your current system shouldn't have any issues running what you listed, honestly.

What do you mean 'scares with booting'? Have you checked on the health of your drive? Looked at SMART data?

Your current system shouldn't have any issues running what you listed, honestly.

What do you mean 'scares with booting'? Have you checked on the health of your drive? Looked at SMART data?

SMART Data looks good. It's just doing strange things at times when booting from my SSD. Cant describe it. Just wanted opinions on if this should be upgraded or not. Life span of a SSD is 5 years?

Life span of an SSD, like any part, is when it quits working. Like Blaylock said, I'd try wiping out, Secure erasing, formatting and putting a FRESH copy of Windows on it and see if the issue still happens.

From the (little) information we have, I'm not convinced it's am SSD issue (may be the board, or just Winderz). Tough to help if you can't describe it though. :)

But if you want an opinion on if it should be upgraded, I wouldn't think so, no... not from the uses you described.

Life span of an SSD, like any part, is when it quits working. Like Blaylock said, I'd try wiping out, Secure erasing, formatting and putting a FRESH copy of Windows on it and see if the issue still happens.

From the (little) information we have, I'm not convinced it's am SSD issue (may be the board, or just Winderz). Tough to help if you can't describe it though. :)

But if you want an opinion on if it should be upgraded, I wouldn't think so, no... not from the uses you described.

EarthDog: Well I give that a go then. I'll report back and see if that helped the issue.

Thanks guys

Generally, SSDs fail suddenly without warning. How long has it been in use? HWInfo64 will estimate the amount of lifespan time left on the drive. So will Crystaldiskinfo but the two apps seldom agree so take it for what it's worth.

Budget SSDs are typically warrantied for three years, high end ones five or more. The most common failure reason for SSDs is the memory controller giving up the ghost. The life span is limited by how many total writes take place. TRIM technology manages that such that the wear is spread around among the various chips on the drive. But for modern SSDs that write limit is such a large number, most average consumers never see failure because of that.

Budget SSDs are typically warrantied for three years, high end ones five or more. The most common failure reason for SSDs is the memory controller giving up the ghost. The life span is limited by how many total writes take place. TRIM technology manages that such that the wear is spread around among the various chips on the drive. But for modern SSDs that write limit is such a large number, most average consumers never see failure because of that.

Thank you trents

SMART Data looks good. It's just doing strange things at times when booting from my SSD. Cant describe it. Just wanted opinions on if this should be upgraded or not. Life span of a SSD is 5 years?

What does magician say ? Also I'd have a look at running hard disk sentinel, that called a Samsung ssd just before failure for me and I transferred to a new one (I like the pros).

Back