• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with a website

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

My uncle owns a small company and just wants a presence on the internet. Really all he wants is 1 page with absolutely no links. Really, its just a picture of his linecard. He bought a domain through Godaddy, and now Im presented with the challenge of figuring out how to get this image hosted so I can redirect to the hosted website. He really just needs a free hosting website to host this one picture thats like 550KB, and his website may get 50 users per year-max. Can someone help me figure where I can upload this image file to be hosted so that it gives me a direct link to redirect to from his Godaddy domain? Below is the image he wants to be his one and only page on his website.
Titanic Line Card.jpg

Attachments

• Titanic Line Card.jpg
    Titanic Line Card.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I might be missing something obvious, but why not put the image on the website being hosted?

Sounds like he has purchased the domain without hosting service. I'm not sure of any free image hosting services that allow commercial activity, but you could comb through their TOS to see. Otherwise you'll need to find some low cost hosting for the website.

Last edited:
I might be missing something obvious, but why not put the image on the website being hosted?
Godaddy wants $5.99 per month to host. That normally wouldnt be a problem, but my uncle only wants that one image to be his entire website and I dont think paying $6 per month to host such a minimal website is worth it on top of the expense for the domain, too.

Godaddy wants $5.99 per month to host. That normally wouldnt be a problem, but my uncle only wants that one image to be his entire website and I dont think paying $6 per month to host such a minimal website is worth it on top of the expense for the domain, too.
What is your uncle's take , the owner, on it? $6 /month is nothing. You want a web presence, you need to pay a bit for it. The cost of doing business.

I wouldn't make it more complicated than it needs to be for such a pittance of a monthly charge. K.I.S.S and all. :)

Otherwise he can have a Facebook page for free. You'd be surprised how many businesses go that route. Not necessarily supporting Facebook, but it is a valid option for someone who wants a simple "web presence." Of course there are potential drawbacks, like having to remain active on it to address comments etc.

Your uncle doesn't work for free and neither do the owners of host servers that require maintenance and electricity. You should gift him a year of hosting and it would be a learning process for you and at the end of the year if he won't or can't pay the $6/mo, then he really doesn't need a web presence. Facebook I would shun at all costs. Bad idea. Just because it's easy don't mean it's proper. If the guy doesn't have a facebook page it is absurd to suggest one just for the sake of lazy simplicity. On top of that, an actual web presence is sooo much more professional than some lameass facebook like button bs.

I would have just got a google domain. redirected my website to my dynamic dns (if you have a static better) to my house and hosted it on a vm through a firewall. Or just used wix or something

Again, it is his Uncle asking for help. He obviously does not do facebook, nor apparently does he want to be an IT guy for a static webpage.
My Qnap nas can host a page which I will be looking into after I figure it all out which seems might take forever but that's another story. The prospect of learning to create a page that you (someone) pay to host, is the infinitely simpler job than either OP taking control of Uncle's 'network', or he himself hosting it and as well maintaining.
That way, neither OP nor his Uncle need worry about whether or not their pc is on or even if they payed the internet bill (pc blows up whatever). $72/yr or whatever is not that bad in lieu of the headache of upgrading and maintaining both the hardware and the webpage, and is infinitely cheaper than buying and outfitting a new home server. For what I will be putting into my nas you could pay to host a page through godaddy at their current rate for redirects for 27 yrs.
You could conceivably run a raspi of Uncles always on router and remotely maintain it, but my experience with people and hardware is if they don't understand it, it will inevitably get turned off or unplugged, you name it.
I love transformed's suggestion but that would put the responsibility onto OP's shoulders which is never a good long term proposition unless he himself runs a server or his Uncle does.

Last edited:
It seems that you brought the domain but not the hosting.
You could get a free subdomain from Wix or Wordpress[dot]com or Google or GoDaddy.

But I believe that those would be subdomains and not real domains for you.
I hope this helps!

Back