• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help with "Missing BOOTMGR"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SPECOPSPC

Working on a friends laptop an Acer :rolleyes: wont boot up, keeps cycling "BOOTMGR MISSING" I have done the following:

I made a bootable Kaspersky USB after trying the usual insert Windows 7 CD and go to system repair. Well it seems to boot Window 7 from cd but hangs a huge white cursor for hours. I then attempted to use the bootable USB with Kaspersky on it.

Nada so I have a hornets nest to say the least what other options do I have? I checked the Bios and there is some unusual password for the hard drive that says frozen I reset the battery on the bios everything was clear then but after it starts booting nada go back into bios and yep password for hard drive is :Frozen so its safe to say there is a bad virus there :bang head?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I don't think that it is a virus. It may not help accessing boot manager but I found a thread where one guy has a fix for some laptop models. Tab down to about post 8 and try that fix.

I dont think its a virus either... (how did you come up with that conclusion?)

Have you made sure that the HDD is first in the boot order? At what point in the install is it hanging?

I don't think that it is a virus. It may not help accessing boot manager but I found a thread where one guy has a fix for some laptop models. Tab down to about post 8 and try that fix.

I dont think its a virus either... (how did you come up with that conclusion?)

Will check it out

Have you made sure that the HDD is first in the boot order? At what point in the install is it hanging?

Ummm dont :eek:ask I kinda figured since I tried to install Windows 7 to repair the boot manager, just hung did nothing on a black screen with white arrow for several hours tried again same thing. Then I pulled out XP yes finally loaded all modules until i got BSOD 0x0000007 (OxF78D663C, OxC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) & A MESSAGE ALONG WITH IT TO CHECK FOR VIRUSES, also run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption :shrug: & I cant access the command prompt :bang head

And it even rejected the anti-virus it shut it down :confused: :shrug: :confused:

Maybe the HDD is done. If you can swap the drive out and see what happens. When testing for this I've used an external HDD or a USB drive as a substitute drive.

Also reason why i said virus is I took it out threw it in the external Black X dock system picked it up; then my OS system started acting weird tried to run virus scan via my new build in sig "yeah I know stupid" but I felt adventurous to get rid of the nastiness that route; and it caused my antivirus to self stop & closed it out. I immediately turned the power off to the dock. But to make matters worse its a Hitachi Deathstar :D

**UPDATE** Got him a OCZ Vertex 3 120 :D. He had no idea what SSD was until I sat him down on my new build & he was grinning from ear to ear with the system performance; 50 yr old kid lol. Should have seen his face . Only draw back is that he is limited to 1 hard drive in the laptop but I hooked him up with a dual bay TT Black X docking station & 1Tb Western I just have to get things going for him. Thanks to everyone for their help. :thup:

Back