• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my first custom loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Razoral

Registered
Hello dear Overclockers.
So I am in a dilemma with water-cooling. But before I start let me tell you about my rig (and my story)
So I bought a new PC in may 2014, it was suppose to be the smallest yet the most powerful mITX build I could get, so I ended up with

Case: Fractal-Design Node 304
Motherboard: Asus ROG Impact
CPU: i5 4670k (Noctua NH-D12 cooling it)
PSU: Corsair AX760 Platinum
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x4Gb 1866Mhz
GPU: EVGA 780ti
This is a good build and everything but the Gpu is too loud and I now see that I barely have any space to build into this nor adding any other component. So now to the point ( sorry for a long intro)

I want to water-cool my system for better temps and less noise. But the case is not is barely compatible with Liquid cooling so I want to move to a slightly bigger case (any ideas? It must be as small as possible yet with lot of space for custom loop)

So I've never done a custom loop before and I have absolutely no idea in terms of brands and components needed for water-cooling, I live in Iceland so it is very hard for me to order any components and ridiculously expensive also the demand for custom loop in Iceland is not much so I would rather not end up with unusable components, so I would prefer to order everything in one order. So for starters how big radiator does it need for a GPU, I am not going to the most extreme level but I am not going to save a few bucks and not like it in the long run and have to order a new radiator or what ever component needed for the system. I would like to water-cool both the cpu and Gpu and then maybe later have the option to add in another card for SLI and being able to cool all three processors. Would it be better to have 2 separate system, one for the cpu and another one for Gpu/Gpu's.
Also because I have the mITX case now wouldn't it be better to just buy a new case and using the mITX motherboard with it for starters and if I decide to upgrade I would just buy a new motherboard for the SLI?

I hope you guys understand where I am going with this, I would appreciate if you guys could make a package of a good custom loop. If there are any questions just ask I will try answering them as soon as possible.

what is the biggest case you can stand?
are you going to overclock the cpu or gpu?
are you ever going to run 2 gpu's?

what is the biggest case you can stand?
are you going to overclock the cpu or gpu?
are you ever going to run 2 gpu's?

I am not sure, but I have been looking at Obsidian 350D which looks nice, and I think he is in top biggest case I can handle
I am going to over clock both the cpu and gpu. I currently got my cpu at 4,4 Ghz and I have been able to get it as high as 4.8 until the heat stopped me, and I want to do the same with the gpu.
Also I guess I will run 2 gpus yes, but not yet at least but I want to have the option after one year if I decide to get another card.

"rule of thumb"

cooling minimums:
CPU : 120.1 (120)mm radiator
GPU : 120.2 (240)mm radiator

Thus for CPU + GPU + GPU (sli) = 120.5 (600)mm radiator space
for example: 1x 360x60mm + 1x 240x45mm - Fans in Push/Pull

However, if you do not want to go deaf

"silent" operation minimums:
CPU : 120.2 (240)mm radiator
GPU : 120.3 (360)mm radiator

Thus for CPU + GPU + GPU (sli) = 120.8 (960)mm radiator
for example: 2x 360x60mm - fans in push + 1x 240x30mm - Fans in Push

Or you can use MONSTA radiators, which are 80mm thick with GOOD fans in Push/Pull, so you can reduce to 120.6 (720)mm

Either way, there are not a lot of cases that can take so much radiator. So, its either going for a BIG case like the Phanteks Enthoo Primo or a 900D

Or going external with the radiator by using something like the MO-RA3 or Phobya NOVA. It allows you to use a "small" midi case and have a radiator the size of the case sitting beside it, or underneath the desk.... If you're planning LAN parties: TWO separate boxes to lift/carry is probably easier as one BIG heavy box.. you only need QDCs for that.. If you don't plan LAN parties, then ONE big heavy (+40 Kgs) case (with wheels) with everything build in might be better

Anyways: read the watercoolign stickies to get a better idea on what is involved.

Last edited:
"rule of thumb"

cooling minimums:
CPU : 120.1 (120)mm radiator
GPU : 120.2 (240)mm radiator

Thus for CPU + GPU + GPU (sli) = 120.5 (600)mm radiator space
for example: 1x 360x60mm + 1x 240x45mm - Fans in Push/Pull

However, if you do not want to go deaf

"silent" operation minimums:
CPU : 120.2 (240)mm radiator
GPU : 120.3 (360)mm radiator

Thus for CPU + GPU + GPU (sli) = 120.8 (960)mm radiator
for example: 2x 360x60mm - fans in push + 1x 240x30mm - Fans in Push

Or you can use MONSTA radiators, which are 80mm thick with GOOD fans in Push/Pull, so you can reduce to 120.6 (720)mm

Either way, there are not a lot of cases that can take so much radiator. So, its either going for a BIG case like the Phanteks Enthoo Primo or a 900D

Or going external with the radiator by using something like the MO-RA3 or Phobya NOVA. It allows you to use a "small" midi case and have a radiator the size of the case sitting beside it, or underneath the desk.... If you're planning LAN parties: TWO separate boxes to lift/carry is probably easier as one BIG heavy box.. you only need QDCs for that.. If you don't plan LAN parties, then ONE big heavy (+40 Kgs) case (with wheels) with everything build in might be better

Anyways: read the watercoolign stickies to get a better idea on what is involved.

Thank you very much, this helped alot :)

When choosing you case you must have an idea of where you expect the radiator/radiators to fit. Inside? Outside? On top? In the front panel? Or, some combination of these positions if you will be going with multiple radiators. This also must take into consideration the size of the radiators. The bigger the case, the better chance you will have of being able to fit the WC hardware into it.

Last edited:
When choosing you case you must have an idea of where you expect the radiator/radiators to fit. Inside? Outside? On top? In the front panel? Or, some combination of these positions if you will be going with multiple radiators. This also must take into consideration the size of the radiators. The bigger the case, the better chance you will have of being able to fit the WC hardware into it.

+1 I always preach for folks to draw out or create a blueprint of what water cooling parts will be involved and to search for the best case that will house them all comfortably so you don't end up chopping up your brand new case or dealing with the hassle of returning it or the hassle of installing all the components and loop. It is day and night difference if this step is followed.

Ok thank you guys, I will make a blueprint of the case. But now when I am choosing my WC parts, I ran into a possible problem. How many and what kind of fittings do I need? Barbed, compressed, adapter fittings? I am so lost, I've been researching this but I haven't found any concrete answers.

But thanks again. Those tips are greatly appriciated :)
Have a nice day

its a personal preference

Many oldtimers use straight non-nonsense (brass) barbs (and jubilee clips) because that has worked for centuries and they are cheap... its functionality over form.

Very popular are compression fittings: also a proven fitting and it looks less like cheap plumbing. However, if you are building for "looks" the sky is the limit.. lotsa sizes, forms & colours, there are even compression fittings with LEDs build it. Expect them to be "not cheap".

There's also push-fit, but they tend to be less popular.. maybe because of the variance in hoses they pose too many problems.

You'll need to budget for at least two "simple" (straight) fittings per component: two for a CPU waterblock, two for a radiator and so on.
In planning your loop route, you'll find that in some cases it might be easier to use a pair of 45° rotational fittings in stead of trying to make an extreme bend with the hose. How many of those "special" fittings like 45°, 90°, sliding SLI, ball valve, bulkhead, QDC, etc you need depends on your routing.

Be aware that "special" means they carry also a "special" price :)

It is not unheard off that the final cost of all the fittings you need exceeds the cost of the radiators and/or blocks.

But, to answer which fitting is best.... well, it depends on the intended usage & preference :)
it depends less on money... if you're living on a $0.50 budget and are not willing to sink a substantial amount of money into it, then W/C is not for you.. said the elitist in me.

Since your case is a Mini-ITX case I would advise on small tubing. I can't say which tubing that would be since I am only familiar with 1/2" x 3/4", which would be way too big in your case. I'll let someone with smaller tubing knowledge jump in on this one.

You could search for small case build logs and see what the majority of others have used for their loops. Should give you an average of whats the common size used for builds like these.

Back