• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with new fortron psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pejsaboy

ok everyone, i just got a fortron ax500a to replace the crappy psu that came with my case and no longer runs stable. i've got the fortron in place to test it and it won't boot the comp. everything is connected, and i even reconnected the old psu to make sure something wasn't dead. everything was fine. i noticed that the atx 20pin connector does not have the -5v line ( i believe it is pin 18, and is a white wire on the old psu), but there is an extra brown wire in pin 11 along with the orange 3.3v line. the fortron has the 20/24 pin connector, but my mobo only has a 20 pin so the extra 4 pin connector is not being used. any ideas?

What exactly happens when you try to turn on the power? Does absolutely nothing happen, or do the fans jerk quickly but immediately shut off? What about the blue switch on the back of the PSU? Is it illuminated when set to the "on" position?

oops, forgot the basic info :) the blue switch is illuminated, and all my fans [case, cpu, vidcard] come on and stay on. i get no signal to the monitor, and no beeps from posting.

Hmmmm, that's very odd. So when you plug in your old PSU, it boots up without a hitch? To be honest, I have no idea why this would be happening. Hopefully someone else can chime in with some useful information. Sorry man.

exactly. when i boot with the old psu, everything works the way it is supposed to. thanks for squeezing some more prelim info outta me, i'm sure it will help someone else :)

avalanche83 said:
Do you have another video card to test?
the video card is fine. the computer boots into windows just like normal when i use the old psu. i will have a video card later tonite for the build i'm doing for my family though, just waiting on ups.

yes. the 20/24 pin comes apart so that you have only a 20 pin adapter [which is what my mobo has].

When you turn the pc on using the case switch it reconizes it so the mobo has to be getting proper power. It has to be the video card not getting a signal. Do you have onboard video?

i'll try the parent's card when it gets here tonite. i'm not hopeful that's the problem since it works with the old psu, but it's worth a shot.

When I thought my FSP was dead it didn't do anything. It would power the mobo for a second or so then shut down. Come to find out I had to jump start it. If it is a dead PSU then there wouldn't be any power at all.

oh defninitely. i know the psu isn't dead, it runs all the fans just fine. even the one on the video card. i also know the video card is not dead because it works perfectly with the old psu. my original thought was that the problem is the lack of a -5v line on the 20pin atx connector. i have no idea whether that would even pose a problem though. i'm still learning most everything i know about computers :)

avalanche83 said:
Take a look at this site and look for the 5v rail and use a MM to check and see if it is fine.
i'll have to see if my dad has one.... i haven't gotten around to buying one yet :(

avalanche83 said:
I think you can find them online for like $5.
well, if it comes down to it i'll pick one up at radio shack later, i'm not into waiting for the shipping on something like that when i need it :)
in the mean time, keep any other ideas flowing if they're out there, and i'll check back in after work. thanks for the help so far :)

Back