• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with new HDD/SSD setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azzer391

Registered
Ltd. Z68AP-D3 (Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz) (overclocked to 4.0ghz)

128gb Samsung 840 pro SSD (Waiting to be delivered)
932GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA)
466GB SAMSUNG HD502IJ ATA Device (SATA)
596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B2 ATA Device (SATA)

So when i get my new SSD i was wondering what will be the best setup for all my HDD I've heard about raid and stuff but don't really know much about it

You will likely want to install the operating system onto the solid state drive to get the most benefit. For the remaining drives, they are not similar enough to do RAID, so I would not suggest it.

ok, i'm going to use the ssd for my os and some games and programs, but i don't know what to do with the other 3 HDD's

I would picked the biggest/newest drive as the primary (outside of the SSD) and use that to install your other games to that will not fit on the solid state drive. You can also place your documents and other static media there (since you don't need this to be fast), so it does not take up space on the drive. From there, if you don't need more space, you could use the other drives as backups, sell them, etc.

ok i'll do that, i'll install my os and some programs on the SSD and then i'll use the 1tb to install crap on lol, and just use the others as backups

Keep in mind, with an SSD, try to keep a certain percentage of space free so your speeds don't degrade. If you don't feel like keeping an eye on it but want to install quite a bit on it, you can create a 10% - 15% partition and simply leave that partition empty.

Back