• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with OC on Phenom 2 940 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpaeCommandBear

Hello to everyone out there I am new to this forums but I am looking for some help since I have encountered a wall on my stable OC .

Well here is my system specs so it will be easier to understand the situation.

Phenom 2 BE 940 @ 3780
Asus M4A79 Deluxe Mobo
Mushkin PC2 8500 EPP EVP profile
Nvidia EVGA SSC GTX 285 1GB Edition
Enermax 720 watt Modular PSU
Antec 900 Case
Thermal Take Big Typhoon HSF 86.5 CF of air a minute
HT OMEGA Claro Sound card

I don't know if all of that information is needed but here is my issue when I push past 3800 mhz my gpu actually gets so hot that it heats up my mother board and causes the heat sensors to auto shut down this is because of where I set there limitation for safety but my question is does anyone know why my gpu is getting so hot from the oc of my processor ?
Anyways cpu is 3780 mhz HT Link is 1890 mhz NB is 1890 mhz my memory @ all 8 gigs is having no issues running @ 1080 mhz are higher I have pushed it to 1200 mhz with ease and had oc of 4.2 ghz but same time I had to scale down to 3780 because the gpu justt kept getting to HOT !!!!! :mad:
I am thinking of selling the GPU and getting the ATI 5870 anyways will this fix my oc problem does anyone know ?

I've never heard of a GPU getting to hot due to a CPU OC. I'd suggest that you make sure your case fans are pushing and pulling enough air.

What could be happening is your Mosfets are heating up to much thus traveling through the heat pipes and making your GPU is hotter. Thats the rational explanation I can see.

:welcome: to OCF!

That's got to be an intake/exhaust problem with your case. Your hardware lists your CPU cooler at 86 CFM and the horizontal-mount doesn't help. The rear and top exhaust fans probably don't make 86 CFM so what happens to the extra air coming off the CPU? It winds up at the GPU intake.

Best suggestion I can come up with is to isolate your lower front case fan and GPU intake using some kind of divider so the GPU doesn't get the recycled air off the CPU. You could also get higher CFM fans for the front intake, which should help some ...

First of all I wanted to say thank you for you thoughts on the topic and they do make a lot of sense I never knew what a mosfet I had to look it up and do some research on it thank you google.

That actually makes a tremendously large amount of sense on the air intake/exhaust I could see with my hsf pulling so much air I am getting recycled air in my gpu I noticed oscillating fan speeds on my hsf did change temps on my gpu and cpu over all not happy with the affect will try and change air flow in the case redirect it somehow.
I actually spent sometime on the phone with nvidia on my card problem they said they feel its an air flow issue as well I personally like evga customer service they're friendly and try to help you find a resolve.
I might be selling my mobo mem and cpu with hsf to a friend and get a core I5 setup and try a new series of issues.
But as of now 3780 mhz on air due to gpu / mosfets and recycled hot air I am pretty happy with my setup maybe water cool ? Probally will do water cool if I don't sell to my friend that will probally make my gpu much cooler and if not its those pesky mosfets and back on the phone with evga for rma .

Back