• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with p4p800 dlx

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kraigc

I got this board yesterday. I installed everything and tried to boot. It would post into BIOS, but wouldnt load windows. I was getting a beep code with 3 beeps. It would beep, then reboot. I then tried switching memory channels and when I booted it got a voice post saying 'System fail due to cpu overclocking'. I remembered I have a 533fsb P4 so I put the memory backin the original channels and tried to get into BIOS. Wouldnt post. I cleared the CMOS and now nothing happens when I apply power. The fans spin, and the HDD spins, no voice post, no beep codes. The led on my monitor just blinks like the power was turned off on the computer. Can anyone help me?

System specs as follows

P4B 2.53Ghz 533fsb
2*256 Geil Golden Dragon PC3200@333Mhz
P4P800 DLX
BFG GeForceFX5900nu
80G Seagate Baracuda
NEC CD-RW
Plextor DVD-RW

Just remove the memory and try to clear the CMOS again. Leaving pins 2-3 shorted for at least 1 minute. Make sure you remove the onboard battery before clearing the CMOS. I had serious problems with Geil Golden Dragons and a P4P800 system I put together. Ended up returning the memory. That was with an older bios though. Once you can get into the bios, make sure to set the memory to 320 MHz and adjust the memory timings to 2.5-4-4-8. Set the VDIMM voltage to 2.85. Then reinstall just 1 memory module and boot up again. Keep rebooting until you get video. It may take 5-10 times. Once in windows download bios 1014 and flash that. It may help with compatability.

It's generally called "the black screen of death". Don't worry it's not as bad as it sounds. When you power up and it all comes on but just a flashing monitor light, turn it off and unplug it for 30 sec. Plug it back in and restart. If the screen is still black, turn it off again only don't unplug it this time. You might have to power on/off a couple of times(not unplugging) but it will come back. BTW, if you press ins(insert) and power on/off button at the same time your cmos will be magically reset without removing the battery.

GD

Tried evryones suggestions. Even set up the system outside the case to eliminate grounding issues. Guess its time to RMA to Asus..... Anyone know how to do this?

I think i may have narrowed the problem down to a memory issue. I took a stick of ram out and ran single channel. It now posts bios, but still wont load windows. INstead of 3 beeps, i get 2. I suppose I will rma the ram and try a different brand off of asus's useable list.

If you can get into BIOS, turn the voice-POST reporter on so that you know what all those beep codes mean. Have you set the FSB to 533/4 (133)? If not, you're trying to overclock, and P4Bs don't like overclocking much.

3 beeps on P4C800-E =Main Memory read/write test error. Im assumeing its probably the same on the p4p800

Back