• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie - Need Motherboard Breadboarding help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocs1234

Last week, my rig would not start up.

MOBO: ASUS|RAMPAGE IV EXTREME X79 2011
PSU: Roswell Valens 600W
CPU: CPU INTEL|CORE I7 3930K 3.2G 12MB R
MEM: 4 x 4G|CORSAIR Dominator-GT DDR3 CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
COOL: CPU COOL NOCTUA|NH-D14 R

I am breadboarding with these components and 1 memory module.

(1) Motherboard turned on and went through its POST sequence. Then, I heard the following sequence of beeps from the mobo. One long beep, then 3 short beeps. Then one long beep and 4 short beeps, followed by another short beep.

Here is a link to a Vimeo video of the Bios beeps during POST:

(2) I tested each of the 4 memory modules with the breadboard setup and heard the same beep patterns.

From the User Manual:
(1) One short beep: VGA detected, Quick boot set to disabled, No keyboard detected
(2) One continuous beep followed by two short beeps than a pause (repeated: No memory detected
(3) One continuous beep followed by three short beeps: No VGA detected
(4) One continuous beep followed by four short beeps: Hardware component failure.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Does this mean my computer is shot? Any idea which if any components are bad? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

(3) One continuous beep followed by three short beeps: No VGA detected
Is there a video card installed? Seems like the motherboard wants something outputting video.

and :welcome: to the forums.

After a brief search I found this is typically a memory or graphics card issue.

Have you tried each RAM stick individually? Is your graphics card receiving power (assuming it takes a PCI-E power cable)?

Can also sometimes be an issue with the CPU (memory controller).

As dejo said, this CPU does not have a graphics unit or it is disabled by Intel if there is one. In your post you mention all the HW so I'm going to assume that you aren't using a video card. So that would be your problem.

Also, a breadboard is a pcb prototyping device that wires, ICs and other components can be easily pressed into without soldering them. What you did is more of "bench testing" or simply "diagnostics".

Thanks so much for everyone's replies. Really appreciate it. I took the video card out, because I wanted to strip it down to core components. But, you're right, since the CPU does not have integrated graphics, I will add that component and report back. Thanks so much!!!

Test 2 - Added Graphics Card to MOBO, CPU, PSU, COOL, MEM

(1) Used 1 Memory Stick

First set of beeps during POST listed in original message disappeared. :)
I Still have what appears to be one continuous beep followed by 4 short beeps and then another short beep.

Here is the link to the vimeo video of the test:

(2) Swapped out the first memory stick with each of the others, one by one. Same results.

Based on the beeps, it appears that there is some other component failure. Any suggestions how to narrow it down further?
Thanks so much!!!

you may want to research which ram slot to populate with a single stick. some boards are rather picky with that

Usually if using one stick, use slot 2. (if you view it as 1 2 3 4) Use slot 1 if you see it as 0 1 2 3. Either way, it is the second slot you want to use. This was news to me.

Thanks for all of your comments. I did have the RAM in the wrong slot. Really appreciate the help. I think re-seating all the components also helped with the original inability to start issue. Everything seems to be functional now. Thanks again to everyone!!

Back