• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with peltier cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deckar

Hello overclockers! First i want to apologize for my poor english (not my first language)

I need your help with a little diy project i´ve been working on.
i have a packard bell laptop (model easynote ts44hr) and it keeps overheating. Maybe is because the thermal paste is worn off or it has some dust in the vents , but considering everything i did read on the internet about easynote laptops overheating i think is just a faulty design ( also taking apart the laptop to reaply thermal paste and cleaning is VERY difficult and i dont want to break anything)

So i need something to cool the laptop. Here is my idea:
i want to use a peltier cooler (like the ones in most usb mini fridges) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling) peltier devices are little plates that when applied electricity one side gets very hot and the other side gets very cool . Knowing that i want to put a heatsink on the hot side so the heat gets dissipated to the air and another heatsink on the cold side with a fan facing the air intake of the laptop so the air being sucked into the cpu is colder and thus cooling the inside of the laptop,

Now the questions: will it work? will the cold air cool more efficiently than room temperature air? Will the temperature drop be enough to justify all the work?

And regarding the peltier plate: i am going for a 30W peltier cooling plate (this in particular http://dx.com/p/tec1-12705-diy-cooling-plate-white-40-x-40mm-dc-12v-182008) cause i figured out i dont need a lot of cooling power like reaching sub zero (celsius degrees) temperatures , just below ambient.
Is this a viable choice? how big should the hot side heatsink be, and how much voltage do i need to apply to reach said below ambient temperatures?

So thats all!! i know its a long post so thank you in advance just for reading.
And if you can tell me your opinion on the project or make some adjustmen that would be very appreciated.

you should realize that whatever wattage the peltier is that heatload is added to the existing heatload and will also have to be dissipated. and it will also be a burden to your battery as well, as that wattage is also ontop of what the laptop drew previously

The "cooling device" wont be powered by the laptop battery. It will be like a station in my home where i put the laptop when i want it to be cold , so it will be powered by a transformer connected to a wall plug (no consumption restrictions)

you will still have to get the peltier to seat to something that will coduct the heat from the cpu to the pelt to another heatsink device to remove the heat from the cpu + the wattage of the pelt itself. that will most likely mean having the cpu exposed through the laptop bottom to get the pelt-heatsink you add to pull your heat from the laptop.
it can be done, just cant see it being mobile afterwards.
pelts can be effective as well. its been years since I have used them, but used them in the past. but that was for short bursts of operation.
if the pelt does ever make it to the dew point temperature wise (this changes will almost all weather conditions) it will condense moisture and can be an issue. so the main thing is to try and seal any parts that have a chance for dew point temps so that no airflow is directly there. think of your insulation on the liquid lines of your home ac unit. if you can keep the cold parts sealed, there is less chance for moisture

I was thinking of assembling the cooler into a laptop stand , leaving the laptop totally independent from the cooler (just a laptop stand that can also provide cool air to the laptop intake) .
The laptop cpu has its own heat exchanging method (heatsink inside the laptop) my idea is to cool ( using the peltier) the air that the laptop blows into the cpu (and gpu) heatsink. no external changes nor internal.

Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like a zombie of a device though I question the choice of peltier. I have yet to see one that is powerful enough to be of much use. The only time I've seen them used was with a massive heatsink on the hot side just to speed up heat transfer. You have to make sure that the pelt turns off when the computer does or as dejo mentioned the pelt will continue trying to suck heat until there is none... and condensation can form.

If the heatsink from the cpu is available from the bottom then you can put pretty much any cooler that would fit on the bottom. I'm not familiar with that laptop so I'm not sure. If you were to take some internal pictures we could probably help you more with creativity but I can see your idea working if you put the laptop on a built up stand and have a cooler hanging out the bottom. It wouldn't be as portable anymore of course if you were to do that. Usually though the heatsink plates are on top and not available underneath.

The problem is that the laptop is more than likely in need of the dust cleaned out as well as the thermal paste replaced. Simply adding another cooling system in an attempt to avoid cleaning it will not work well as the air must flow through the system easily in order to perform. That is, until you clean it and re-apply the thermal paste there is not much you can do to 'effectively' cool it.

A peltier cooling system would require a good thermal contact with the CPU of the laptop. If not you lose the benefit you are trying to get. Just putting the laptop's bottom against the peltier will not cool the system. I see what you are trying to do but to be very honest your best bet is to clean it and re-apply thermal paste.

Z

Back