• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beggan

New to the forums so not sure if this thread is in the right section if not feel free to move it :).

So, I recently put together a compy and would like to OC my CPU and would like a little help doing so since this will be my first OC. Also, I would like to know if the stock fan is capable of maintaining the OC speed I desire. I wanna run my CPU at 3Ghz so nothing too fast. Here are a list of the parts I am using. Any help would be great.

CPU - Q6600
RAM - OCZ Gold 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
MB - GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45
GPU - GIGABYTE GV-R485-512H-B Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire x 2
OS - Vista 64 spk1

Thanks for any assistance you all can shoot my way.

:welcome: here.

I would love to give you the details on how to OC your chip, but then no one would read graysky's excellent guide stickied at the top. Your stock heatsink might provide adequate cooling at 3GHz, but I would at least buy some arctic silver 5 TIM and apply that. Be careful as OCing is addicting. Run a search for you CPU in this section and you should find the settings people used to get their clock speeds. If you have more questions, feel free to ask

thanks for the response. yes, i read his article very helpful. i'm more worried about whether or not my stock fan would be adequate. and yes i put artic on the cpu

EDIT:

Aww crap, I read that wrong -- I thought you were still assembling -- but you've bought all the parts and need help OC'ing it.

So +1 vote for the sticky :D

get a program like coretemp and try it out. Keeping your temps under 65C is safe, although much lower like 60C max is much more desirable.

Back