• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Modem & Router for family of 6

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Hey my girlfriend is looking for a modem & router (combo preferred for ease) for her family since her regular comcast hardware is trash. What do you recommend? They have a budget of $150. They do normal family things, nothing too intensive besides having lots of devices!

This is also for a 2 story house and the range needs to cover top floor and basement, the modem & router would be placed in a central location.

Thought you guys would have more knowledge than myself!

The combo I thought would be good would be the NetGear Nighthawk AC1750 Router with the CM500 Modem keeping it around $150. Would this be good? Probably 12 devices at max at a time, not too heavy of downloads.

Last edited:
For the router, get something that supports DD-WRT or build up a pfSense box. You'll probably want multiple APs.

For the router, get something that supports DD-WRT or build up a pfSense box. You'll probably want multiple APs.

Not wanting to build, and why DD-WRT? We are looking for the best single combo for $150 or less.

Nighthawk's are sweet, and mine's range is ENORMOUS. I have it installed in my basement, and streaming 4k content in the master bedroom 2 stories up or outside mowing the lawn; still get service. Dual Band is also cool.

Not wanting to build, and why DD-WRT? We are looking for the best single combo for $150 or less.
DD-WRT = very customizable.
For the main router, an AC1200 or AC1900 unit should work great, with cheap AC600 or AC750 units for the remote APs.

I have Ubiquity routers at my fraternity and I am honestly not impressed. For some reason the only time anyone is ever able to connect to 5Ghz is if we disable 2.4Ghz completely. The range isn't bad, but the speed is lacking due to the issue with dual band.

Back