• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new memory for my gaming rig, Any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:thup:

Been pretty tempted to do that myself, but have a bit of an odd chip in here.

I doubt you'll regret it for the small amount more.

That's a good choice, I have that same set but in a DDR3-2400 MHz kit. Oh, and just an FYI, just because you buy a 2133 MHz kit doesn't mean you can't run them at 1866 MHz :) Could probably even tighten up the timings too...

My mobo can't handle the 2133 memory

That Sabertooth can handle 2133 and up, the limiting factor will be your CPU but 2133 should be fine. I have had very good luck with my G.Skill Snipers 2133. Can run from 1800 to 2500 on that Sabertooth with good timings. I'm with Woomack about the 4Gig modules. Unless you do heavy video work that requires alot of memory a 2x4 Gb kit would suit you the best. These are the snipers that I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519

That Sabertooth can handle 2133 and up, the limiting factor will be your CPU but 2133 should be fine. I have had very good luck with my G.Skill Snipers 2133. Can run from 1800 to 2500 on that Sabertooth with good timings. I'm with Woomack about the 4Gig modules. Unless you do heavy video work that requires alot of memory a 2x4 Gb kit would suit you the best. These are the snipers that I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519

Well hell, I looked on the website and seen it only supported 1866 so that's what I went ahead and bought. (I just looked at the website again and downloaded the RAM Vendor List, and seen it can support up to 2500 ram)

Something tells me I'm not getting the best performance out of my comp then. I need to read up on a few things and tweak some stuff I guess. Or pay someone to have a look and set everything up for me.

Last edited:
1866 RAM is optimal for AMD as memory controller is not scalling well above that clock. 2133 is also good but 2400 or higher is often hard to stabilize and it's not giving any performance gain.
Your board has official support for 1866 memory just because it's official max for FX CPU series. Anything above is possible but not guaranteed by manufacturer.

Looking at the latest G.Skill series it looks like:
- ARES, RipjawsX, Sniper = the same IC , the same specs, different heatsink ( I made ARES and RipjawsX 2133/2400 tests based on the same IC )
- RipjawsZ = mixed IC , most new are Hynix but some top series ( black heatsinks ) are also on Samsungs or blue 1866 were on Micron
- TridentX = probably the only memory that up to 2400 clock has everything on Samsung ( above 2600 all is Hynix )

Going back to ARES/RipjawsX/Sniper, I had biggest luck with ARES kits even though all supposed to be on the same IC.

Here are tests of 2133 RipjawsX and 2400 ARES. Both on the same IC. Both OC about the same and both can find as 2133 10-12-12 or 2400 11-13-13. New Snipers or RipjawsZ 2133 10-12-12/2400 11-13-13 will be acting the same.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734805
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=737385

I still have to check how ARES 2133 9-11-10-28 is acting on ASRock Z87M. It was running 100% stable @2666 11-13-12-34 1.65V on Z77 boards but I couldn't make it run at the same settings on a Gigabyte Z87X-OC.

Last edited:
Here Blaylock have a look at Woomack's List there's about 10 different G.Skill kits. Some of the differences will be in the binning of the chips and different chip manufacturer. When they release a line say for the Z87 or FX they try to tune the timings to suit the chipset/CPU. Woomack would be the best one to weigh in on this.

Probably all new G.Skill series were tested on every available desktop platform ( even if it's not described on their website ). Some memory have the same product numbers as older kits but on the package are stickers saying it was tested on Z87 boards etc. ( like TridentX 2400 that are available for like 2 years in the same specs ). RipjawsZ are generally designed for X79 boards but were also tested on other chipsets.

Some RipjawsZ are also for the Haswell Platform as it say's on the Box!! It all depends what you looking to do with them, some certain sets for Benching are very much sort after! Due to there timings and overclockerbility, just ask Johan or Woomack they have there special sets lol!!

AJ.

For GAMING, 16gb of 1066 vs 1866 will provide no benefit at all (fractions of FPS gains). Plenty of charts and benchmarks out there supporting. Any particular reason why you want faster ram?

bob i think he is looking for Benching Ram, which means you want every ounce you can squeeze out of it + a bit more!! That is why i take time out to even Overclock my Ram here, it be a waste of time for others. But Benching every part second counts as they say!!

AJ.

For GAMING, 16gb of 1066 vs 1866 will provide no benefit at all (fractions of FPS gains). Plenty of charts and benchmarks out there supporting. Any particular reason why you want faster ram?

Currently pretty much all I do is game and stream games/movies, program in visual studio and do a crap load of graphic work in Photoshop.

With spending $2000 on my current setup + my 32" samsung SmartTV I use as a monitor, RAM was the only thing I haven't bought yet. I'm currently using some PNY DDR3 from best buy. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/optima-...8532316525&skuId=2327496&st=memory&cp=1&lp=10) which turns out is 1333mhz not 1066mhz.

So I figured I might as well go ahead and grab some ram while I got the chance. Plus I never know what I'll be doing with this PC from week to week, so i wanted to go ahead and get some ram that could handle anything I might be doing in the future.

Back