• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions for Haswell watercooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I would just use hot distilled water. Shake the hell out of the radiator full while plugged and repeat the process 5 times or so. (Don't burn your hands :p) Open the water block and rinse it with a toothbrush and distilled water. If there's any buildup I would than use some vinegar and distilled water @ 40%/60% I think. Some even have used ketchup if I recall correctly. Just don't let any of these acids sit too long on metal. Open the pump, rinse it with distilled as well. Just basically make sure there's no buildup. You might have oxidization but that's ok.

I would just buy new tubing. PrimoChill Advanced LRT

Thank you for the reply! I am honestly considering just buying the Raystorm if that is the best bang for buck. I just tried to modify the mount of the fuzion and that thing is solid steel and it was not going very well with the tools I have. I've read that the acrylic mounting piece for the Raystorm is not very strong feeling, but it seems to work from the reviews I've read...any inputs on this anyone?

Also, the tubing I have in the picture is brand new and leftover from when I first put things together years ago. I threw away the tubing that was used when I broke everything down. I am quite confident it is 7/16" ID, but either way I know it worked well with my 1/2" barbs.

Well I got everything in that I needed like the Raystorm block and Silver coil.

I did have a question as far as where I should mount the radiator on my Antec Twelve Hundred case. How I see it is I have two options without having to do too much/no modding to the case.

1. Mount it internally on the roof of the case under the 200mm fan. The 200mm fan would act as a pull fan on the top side of the radiator, but part of the radiator fins would not be exposed shown since the radiator fins cover a span of about 240mm to support two 120mm fans. I would then mount two fans in the push configuration on the bottom side of the radiator. This method would require some holes to be made on the top, but I am fine with that.

2. I could use my swiftech radiator mounting bracket and mount the radiator on the rear exterior of the case. Because of the odd location of the tube routing holes on the rear of the case I would have to use a lot more tubing (if mounting the inlet/outlet at the top) to route the tubing down towards the bottom of the case and into the computer case through those holes. This method would not require any modifications.

Since heat rises naturally, it seems that mounting a radiator horizontally is the best option, but with ~40mm of the radiator fins not having an outlet through the top 200mm grill I worry if that is the best option in this case. I do not believe the radiator will be completely flush against plastic causing air to not pass through those fins freely, but some air would recirculate back into the case from the fins not under the grill.

Also, is this the optimal water loop sequence for cooling just the CPU?
Reservoir => Pump => Radiator => CPU => Reservoir

Any inputs are appreciated. Thank you!

I WC'd my antec 1200 a long time ago. I mounted a 120.3 in the front of the case because I decided I didn't need ten thousand drive bays...I think I ended up with 1-3 left over, even with the rad in there. I can talk you through how to do that if it interests you.

The factor of heat rising is completely negligible when you introduce forced airflow (ie: fans). Don't factor that into your decision.

I WC'd my antec 1200 a long time ago. I mounted a 120.3 in the front of the case because I decided I didn't need ten thousand drive bays...I think I ended up with 1-3 left over, even with the rad in there. I can talk you through how to do that if it interests you.

The factor of heat rising is completely negligible when you introduce forced airflow (ie: fans). Don't factor that into your decision.

Having the radiator within the case would be nice for the mere fact of it looking better and I hated the thing hanging off the back of my last case.

I would be fine with mounting it in the front, but doesn't that eliminate the drive bays for hard drives as well?

Thanks!

Well I got everything installed tonight. All I can say is...never again will I buy an Antec case. I can't believe they designed a full tower case like this with no where to mount things.

I do have some noisy fans that sound like they are going bad on the radiator so I will have to replace those with some new cooler master fans I had. Temps are down about ~10 degrees celsius from my Hyper 212+ Evo. I'm not sure how much of a difference in temperatures I should be looking for. I think I also need to contact XSPC in regards to the back plate. I believe something is wrong with one of the corner's threads since it would not tighten down completely like the other three. I had to use a pair of pliers to get it to turn and go in all the way. I'll post a picture when I get a chance. Thank you for all of the help guys.

Here are a couple of pictures. Currently I don't have my 4770K overclocked and here are the before and after results...

Hyper 212+ Evo
Idle - Min
Core 0 - 29
Core 1 - 28
Core 2 - 30
Core 3 - 28

Load - Max (5 minutes - Prime 95 Blend)
Core 0 - 63
Core 1 - 63
Core 2 - 64
Core 3 - 58

Custom Water Loop
Idle - Min
Core 0 - 29
Core 1 - 27
Core 2 - 29
Core 3 - 27

Load - Max (5 minutes - Prime 95 Blend)
Core 0 - 58
Core 1 - 57
Core 2 - 57
Core 3 - 55

Not much difference...maybe more difference would be seen if overclocked...?

Does anyone see anything setup incorrectly? I did go ahead and use the XSPC K2 thermal paste since I read that it is better than Arctic Cooling MX-2 and that is the only other type I have on hand.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20140117_220002.jpeg
    20140117_220002.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20140117_220009.jpeg
    20140117_220009.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 30
MX-2 is ok but MX-4 is better.

Depending on your ambient temp it looks fine but you didn't do a full run. Usually run Prime for 30 mins on all testing.

As for overclocking your temps will be lower vs. air no doubt and what did you setup your speed on your pump?

MX-2 is ok but MX-4 is better.

Depending on your ambient temp it looks fine but you didn't do a full run. Usually run Prime for 30 mins on all testing.

As for overclocking your temps will be lower vs. air no doubt and what did you setup your speed on your pump?

Speed on pump is on the max setting of 5.

In HWMonitor I'm not sure which temp is ambient. None of them say SYS Temp, but I have TZ00, TZ01, TMPIN0, TMPIN1, and TMPIN2.

I'm going to run it at 4.6ghz for a while and see what the max temps are that I get under load. After Prime running for a few minutes it is between 65-71C max across all cores.

Here is a screen shot of everything after ~30 minutes Prime 95 Blend. How does everything look for my set voltages/multi, etc.?

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 4.6 ghz.PNG
    4.6 ghz.PNG
    289.4 KB · Views: 28
You'll have to use the forums to host the pic so were able to open up the image to view it otherwise we can't.

Also such a simple loop like yours I wouldn't go any higher than 4. I would even possibly go 3 on your setup. When you add say multiple rads, CPU/GPU blocks etc is when folks use 4 or 5.

I used the forum to host the pic. If you right click on it and click open image in new tab it will be full screen. My computer blue screened a little while after taking that. I didn't have too much time to mess with it after that though.

Having the radiator within the case would be nice for the mere fact of it looking better and I hated the thing hanging off the back of my last case.

I would be fine with mounting it in the front, but doesn't that eliminate the drive bays for hard drives as well?

Thanks!

Yea, I mounted mine to the floor of the case with some L brackets.

Back