• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions (i have mine), low profile cooler for am5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
What is the best low profile colling solution (air) that will fit AM5 , most AM4 coolers will work. I will tweak but probably not OC.

Most AM4 coolers should fit, but some may have problems with a standard backplate as if I'm right, AMD changed that a bit. Here is Noctua's compatibility list - https://ncc.noctua.at/socket-compatibility-overview For most of their coolers, you can get a free AM5 mounting kit (or it already fits).

I'm just not sure about the TDP/heat. Most CPUs have lower TDP in specs than they really need. I wouldn't count that the smallest coolers handle Ryzen 5 series. Ryzen 5600/X could barely work on 100W TDP coolers without overheating, and it was rated at 65W TDP. I can say that Intel's i5 series was better for SFF or small coolers.

That is the brand. Their site says 2 of theirs will not fir properly. Hope this is not one of them.
Post magically merged:

I like this if it will fit. I have no issues pulling the top fan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-032943_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-032943_Chrome.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220928-033640_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220928-033640_Chrome.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
You can see the list in the link I posted. This cooler is marked as fits out of the box, as long as was sold/shipped after Jan 2019.
Only coolers designed for socket 1700 and server sockets won't work as I see on the list.

I would not trust a 4 heatpipe cooler on any of the top end Zen 4 processors (170W+) and would stick to a 7700X or lower. In your other thread you were talking about needing the CPU to boost up to 5+GHz. Zen 4 requires great cooling to accomplish this. Also, you didn't list your height limit so making suggestions will be more difficult.

Here are some other options (note: I haven't used these personally)

Thermalright SI-100

Noctua NH-C14S

be quiet! Dark Rock TF2 - I think you listed this one too

be quiet! Shadow Rock TF2 - Not as good as the DR TF2 but lower profile and still a capable cooler

Phanteks PH-TC14CS

Below is an excellent review of many of the coolers listed above.

100mm max height. It does not need to be tiny, it can be rather large actually, just not massive tall. I guess I should have qualified my statement.

Edit: 110 MM would give me some clearance.

Last edited:
At 112mm they all will work with alternative methods (i.e mounting fan under fins or removing top fan)

Yeah. I am really thinking TF2.

At 112mm they all will work with alternative methods (i.e mounting fan under fins or removing top fan)
Just ordered the TF2 from the egg.
.e mounting fan under fins or removing top fan)
Done that before. To tell the truth the case is the size of old desktop cases. I have it set up a rack mount though it is made to be vertically (tower) mounted.

Edit. Watched the video, going with the TF2. It will serve my purposes, no OC and the 7900x I bought will be happy in the case.

This is my home entertainment PC, it will primarily be used for emulation but on family game night it will also act as the host for multiplayer gaming. Empyron can be a beast when everything is jacked up.

Last edited:
be quiet! DARK ROCK TF2

it just did fit, I was prepared to remove the upper fan. Just a few MM of clearance. Time for more case modding, CNC or drill... Hmmmmm? Screenshot_20221008-190648_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221009-010021_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20221010-115040_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Back