• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Recommendations on CPU cooler for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are looking for a low profile heatsink for that build, I would recommend the Prolimatech Samuel 17. While it won't cool as well as something like a TRUE or Megahalems, it is still much better than a stock unit and will give you some headroom for moderate overclocking. Here is a link to my review of it. It doesn't come with a fan, so you will have to buy one. In my review, I test with various models of fans in 12 mm, 20 mm and 25 mm thicknesses, plus one 38 mm thick model just to see what kind of ultimate performance this heatsink can give. If you have the extra headroom and don't mind paying a premium for the fan, the Gentle Typhoon AP-14 or AP-15 models gave very good performance. If you are space contricted, either of the Yate Loon 20 mm thick models I tested also give good performance, but Sidewinder Computers doesn't sell them. I got those and the 12 mm thick fans from Jab-tech.

Do not know how well the Cooler Master GeminII S525 will do, or fit your case. A PhenomII X2 560 should not be that demanding??

Do not know how well the Cooler Master GeminII S525 will do, or fit your case. A PhenomII X2 560 should not be that demanding??

I just looked at Cooler Master's website and Newegg and they don't have one named "GeminII S525". They do have one named "GeminII S524" though, which is the heatsink you are referring to I believe. And it looks to be a viable offering also, if his case allows a taller heatsink than the Samuel 17. I haven't tested it so I can't say how it's performance compares to the Samuel 17, but it does allow more headroom for ram with taller heatspreaders than the Prolimatech heatsink. You have to use low profile ram with the Samuel 17, since it's so compact.

Another choice you might look at is the Noctua NH-C14 also. It is expensive though and also a little taller than the Cooler Master heatsink, but sitll shorter than a normal tower heatsink. And you can leave the top fan off without losing much performance if you need a lower clearance too. It's performance isn't appreciably better than the Samuel 17 though and it is expensive, but it comes as a complete cooling solution with 2 fans. Newegg also has it for sale with only 1 fan for around $12 cheaper.

If price has no bearing, I personally would go with the Samuel 17, since it and a decent fan is still cheaper than the Noctua. If price is very important, I would go with the Cooler Master offering and unless they really screwed the pooch with their design (not likely), it should be sufficient for cooling a Phenom.

Yes I was referring to the 524, appologies. CM RR-G524 18 PK R1 Dimensions 144x144x 105mm 5.7x5.7x4.1 inch Superbiiz free ground shipping $35.99 often 15% discount code, I have one ordered to try. Amazon, too.

If you have an oem AMD Heatpipe cooler, these, especially upgraded with a 92mm Arctic Cooling PWM fan glued on in place of the 70mm are a possible choice.
Found this mod on the AMD forums. Fans about $7 shipped, plus plastic glue $5? epoxy.
I have glued 80mm to 120mm adapters to these coolers and used 120mm fans but they do get taller then. My own variation (not cost effective).

Samuel looks like "the" choice, 45mm tall plus 25mm for fan = 70mm in a case using 120 mm fan.
The GeminII at 105 seems a close fit. Stock Heatpipe cooler is about 49mm to the base of the fan, whoch would make it 75mm with a fan on.

Last edited:
Back