• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on AMD FX-4100 OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dopery

I started with setting max volts i felt comfortable with, in this case 1.48, tried to get 4.5 at the start but with prime95 tests ive settle on 4.3 now. Ran prime95 for 4 hours while at work (not long enough probably, but im never running my rig at 100% ever. Playing a little destiny 2 from time to time) and i guess my question here is there anything i can do with NB multiplier? Im unsure what it even does or what benefits i could perhaps gain? Below is a screenshot, in open HWMonitor the max values are which they got to during that prime95 test. thanks!

Your NorthBridge handles the traffic between the PCIe and CPU. Some very minor gains can be realized from overclocking the NB but mainly only in synthetic benchmarks. Rarely will the gains ever be noticeable.

If your overclock is limited by CPU temps you can try AIDA64(free) as your stress test. In some cases it doesn't heat the CPU up as much but still provides a full stress test.

With core temps hitting almost 70c under load you are likely experiencing thermal instability.

Also, what motherboard are you using? You may be overtaxing the VRM section if it is a cheap board.

What CPU cooler are your using?

Please attach pics directly to your posts using the Go Advanced button rather than linking them.

Looks like a Giga 970A UD3. Not a top end board but certainly capable of pushing his FX4100.

Back