• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Ryzen Need help before giving up on Electronics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CurtRed

Hi I just set up a new Pc and am having some issues. After updating bios and installing all the drivers and leaving everything at defaults, i noticed the values on the cpu were ramping up and down randomly. It was running around 50-60c at 4.1ghz off and on on 4 or more cores at a time with 1.45+ volts on each. I know its supposed to be boosting but i was just at the desktop at idle. It dosent seem right. So I stuck a CoolerMaster 212 on it from another build just to hopefully lower temps a little. I am stuck on this problem now with BSOD crashes intermittently and dont know what to do. I screenshot my hwinfo https://ibb.co/FqwPg8M and need your guys advice please. I looked at other screenshots of 2600x and msi b450 and the voltage values and watts are way different on some values like core power SMU and such. Here is another SS from this morning if it helps.:-/ https://ibb.co/P4kDRFv (I also figured out how to attach the images below btw)

It might also be all fine and im just not used to new PCs and the BSOD could be something else, if it helps the BSOD also says storport.sys

Fresh install Win10 updated
MSI B450 Tomahawk Motherboard with updated bios and all defaults except AXMP set to Profile 1 for memory.
Ryzen 5 2600x
2x8 G Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16D-16GVKC CL 16-19-19-39 1.35v
650w Powerspec 80+ Bronze PSU
Gigabyte 1050Ti 4gb updated drivers
500gb ssd

Let me know if theres anything else i can post to help figure out whats going on here ie. SS of Bios or anything else.:-/:-/:-/ Thanks in advance!

Annotation 2020-04-01 225431.png
Currentss.png

I suspect you have a problem with memory instability either caused by the frequency being a little too high or the timings being off. As a diagnostic measure, try running the memory at 2400 mhz or whatever default is instead of AXMP and see if the instability disappears. Right now, your memory is running at 3300 mhz. It might be that in order to run it at that frequency you may need to change some timings manually or increase the SOC voltage to give the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) a little kick in the pants. But first, lower it to default frequency just to confirm or not confirm my suspicion. Then you can go from there to tweak for a higher frequency. It can be a challenge to get first and second generation Ryzen CPUs to run RAM frequency over 3200 mhz.

As for your voltage / core load behavior I have a couple observations. First of all is CPU usage in both these cases is not idle, you can see that one or two cores have mild loads on two threads. This is normal for windows 10, and normal for Ryzen to boost with higher voltage. It is actually more likely to see your maximum boost clock under these conditions than under a heavy load. That said, please make sure that your Ryzen chipset drivers are installed and that the windows power plan is set to "Ryzen balanced." But nothing looks abnormal there. Sure other users will have different screenshots, but idle or near idle behavior is really tough to control / regulate. You can also go into task manager and see what is causing this idle CPU usage. It may be a background program that you installed but someone else did not.

It looks like you've already increased your SOC voltage a bit, but sometimes a 2600x will just be frustrated going over 3200MHz. I do agree that it could be a memory problem. A good way to test that is to run prime95, set to blend, then custom, leaving the sizes unchanged from blend. Next set the memory usage to 12 or 14 GB (should be just under your idle usage so total usage is about 16GB but the prime95 isn't paging out to the page file but all of your memory is getting used). I would first do this at stock settings and then maybe try to get 3200MHz stable. You really won't see any benefit going over 3200MHz on this platform. You can also try playing with SOC a bit, dropping it to 1.05V or 1.1V. That's what my 2600X likes to run 3200MHz.

And bear in mind, your windows 10 is always doing crap in the background, lots of dooky it does in the back ground.
you can run safernetworkings anti beacon, there is A script that you can run that will rid you of all the modern apps that does all kinds of crud.

One thing about hwinfo64. At the end of the list, there are hardware errors. Hwinfo64 shows any hardware related errors and there are none. Random BSOD can be related to some wrong settings or anything else (software too) but BSOD is a warning that something isn't right so if it's memory/IF/IMC error then it's usually reported earlier and should be on that hwinfo64 list (or windows logs).

If on BSOD there is storport.sys then it can be related to writing/reading data to/from a storage device or RAM. If the same error appears at low memory clock then maybe check your SSD.

Last edited:
Back