• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on my build/upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ossadtchii

Registered
Hey forum.

I'm here to ask you the more experienced people about your opinions regarding my current build.

So i have sold my old i7-930 and a Asus rampage iii extreme today and ordered new parts for my system.
I'm planning on using pretty much all of my old components except for my cpu, motherboard and maybe ram as being a student i cant afford a whole new system from scratch (hence not going for 2011 socket and not seeing any big advantages in ivy bridge over sandybridge)Anyways.

So this is how things should look in my upcoming build/upgrade.

-Antec 1200
-Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z s1155 Motherboard
-Intel Core i7-2600K s1155
-Noctua NH-D14
-Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) 1600mhz 7-7-7-20 1.65v (CMT6GX3M3A1600C7)
-MSI N680GTX twin frozr 2gd5/oc
-OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD for OS
-OCZ Agility 3 128GB SSD for Games
-Samsung 7200rpm 500gb hdd for storage
-750Watt PSU

So i'm wondering will this work out? i'm personally having my doubts about my ram! i heard from other people that 1.65v is not recommended for sandybridge? also its a triple channel ram. isn't dual channel ram better for 1155? Just wondering because those sticks where great for my 1366.

The rest looks okay for me i did a 4.0ghz oc on my 930 (1,23v)but i plan going way higher on the 2600k because its runs cooler! is 4,5-5,0 doable with this setup? (i know its cpu dependent).

Being a game developer and huge fan of gaming and live streaming it's important that i can do these things.

Looking forward to your advice guys.
Also excuse me for my lack of good English grammar (Dutch)

Why the ASUS ROG board? It's a very nice board, yes, but for gaming it's mostly a waste. It's designed for benchmarking more than anything else. With a cheaper board, you could have easily gone Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge.

The thing with the RAM is that Sandy/Ivy isn't tri channel. I'd sell the 3x2GB set and get a 2x4GB so you're in dual channel.

I know the ROG board is for the high end users but i really liked my rampage 3 and the fact that you cant go wrong with a ROG board stability wise is one of my reasons for getting it.
Also i do plan on overclocking like i said so i'd like to think that a ROG board will be a save way to go? When gaming and live streaming i usually used about 80% of my 930.

About the ram what should you guys suggest? i'd like to go with either 2x 4gb or 2x 8 gb but no idea what ram is good nowadays. So some advice on both options would be nice. i can afford to spend another 100-120 euro max.

Also that 500gb drive is still form my old build. seeing that i ordered a 128gb ssd for games it should be fine for storage until i get a 1tb drive later.

G.SKILL and Corsair is the way most people go for RAM. In all honesty though, it doesn't matter that much. RAM is RAM, wherever it's from.

G.SKILL and Corsair is the way most people go for RAM. In all honesty though, it doesn't matter that much. RAM is RAM, wherever it's from.

How critical are the timings? i never really understood what they mean for gaming. like i have the GT's with 7-7-7-20 timing will there be any noticeable difference in games if i had something higher but same speeds? Also what would you recommend 1600mhz or something higher? like 1866? or even 2000 as i'm aiming for a 4.5-5.0Ghz oc?

Unlike the 930, OCing a Sandy Bridge CPU barely affects the motherboard or RAM, since it's all multiplier based. Your OC is almost 100% based on the CPU and CPU only.

DDR3-1600 CL9 is what I usually go for. Difference between 1333 CL9 and 2000 CL7 is like 1-2FPS.

Dom GTs and sticks like that typically were made out of higher quality memory chips that can OC further. However, a lot of the people that sold these chips have either gone out of business or discontinued those lines since higher quality = lower yield.

Unlike the 930, OCing a Sandy Bridge CPU barely affects the motherboard or RAM, since it's all multiplier based. Your OC is almost 100% based on the CPU and CPU only.

DDR3-1600 CL9 is what I usually go for. Difference between 1333 CL9 and 2000 CL7 is like 1-2FPS.

Dom GTs and sticks like that typically were made out of higher quality memory chips that can OC further. However, a lot of the people that sold these chips have either gone out of business or discontinued those lines since higher quality = lower yield.

Ahh thnx for the info :)

Also you mentioned that i'd should go with dual channel. Is there any difference between Dual or Quad? 16gb Quad channel ram from either G.Skill or Corsair seem to be slightly cheaper.

maybe some recommendations? my maximum price is around 120 euro.

When you're looking at the RAM sticks, any kit with 4 sticks will be quad and any stick with 2 sticks will be dual.

However, the Z77 platform only supports dual channel. The X79 platform supports quad. If you put 4 sticks of RAM into a Z77, it will just run dual channel x 2.

G.SKILL Ares/Ripjaws/RipjawsX/RipjawsZ or Corsair Vengeance (LP) are usually pretty cheap and good quality. 1600Mhz CL9, 2x4GB, 2x8GB (more expensive due to higher density sticks, but leaves slots open), or 4x4GB depending on how much RAM you need. Personally, the most I've ever seen used at once is 4GB on my system, but everyone has different usage habits.

Back