• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice on OC AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Uh Oh. I cannot see how that mounting system can be working to hold the block on straight or make that flat to the cpu at all.

attachment.php

its not the best solution, looked at the :pnnection, but I guess there is not easy to see if its ok cd
Lets see if I can get hold of a backplate :p

^^^^^ that is bad!!! I can see that the CPU socket is exposed from the pic, meaning that the CPU is almost certainly exposed too, here lies you're problem with your temps, you can't put a block on like that I'm afraid and expect it to stay cool, once you get that part of your build sorted out you will be amazed at the difference in temps, but please don't push your rig with cooling like that, a stock cooler would probably do a better job until you can rectify it.

Edit : you need a completely different block as you're cpu block is not compatible with a AM3 socket, so don't go looking for a backplate as it will not solve your problem, that block is designed for intel boards I'm afraid.

CPU socket compatibility:
- Intel LGA-775
- Intel LGA-1366
- Intel LGA-1150/1155/1156
- Intel LGA 2011

Last edited:
And thee are only two screws applying pressure when there should be four. The Pug, if you cannot get a back plate at a reasonable price you would be far better off getting a good aftermarket air cooler. There is nothing magic about have a water cooler. They are not necessarily better than an air cooler.

What country do you live in? Perhaps one of our members lives near you and can suggest some venders.

And thee are only two screws applying pressure when there should be four. The Pug, if you cannot get a back plate at a reasonable price you would be far better off getting a good aftermarket air cooler. There is nothing magic about have a water cooler. They are not necessarily better than an air cooler.

What country do you live in? Perhaps one of our members lives near you and can suggest some venders.

Agreed, either getting a AMD backplate or a aftermarket heatsink would be a better solution. A Coolermaster 212 would be a good idea if you can't get a baclplate.

Forget the backplate, it won't work, the blocks not designed for amd, a new block is what is needed, then all will be good :thup:

I know one retailer that sells the plate in a pack, would imagine they can sell it seperatly aswell.

Forget the backplate, it won't work, the blocks not designed for amd, a new block is what is needed, then all will be good :thup:

I think you are correct Keny. I checked the block part number he says he has and EK site says this about the cooler.

EK-Supreme LTX CSQ (LTX stands for Light XTreme) is a universal Intel socket CPU waterblock for the advanced enthusiast users.
RGone...

Can you breach the loop on a self-contained system like that and still get it back together so that it works? I don't know. Never tried it.

Can you breach the loop on a self-contained system like that and still get it back together so that it works? I don't know. Never tried it.

It's not AIO mate, just needs a new block and he should be good to go again

Crap RGone and Keny are right it's the mounting plate for the EK wb that you will need as well as the AMD backplate.

So what you are saying is that even if I get the backplate that is supposed to make it compitable to the am3 socket it's stil wrong..?

So what you are saying is that even if I get the backplate that is supposed to make it compitable to the am3 socket it's stil wrong..?

Yup.... All the backplate does is go on the back of the mobo to help secure it to the board and spread the load evenly on the back, nothing to do with the top (what you see in the pics) that is what you need to sort out, the arms on the block mounts don't line up with the 4 holes on your board, that's the issue here, when you get a AMD mountable block the 4 screws on the block will line up with the 4 holes on your board and it will fit nice, tight and snug

You need a mounting plate like this one, made to fit the AMD socket and also compatible with your EK Supreme Ltx water block, which I don't think the one I linked is. I don't know if they even make a mounting plate for your waterblock to fit an AMD.

Pug, the bolt hole pattern of the AMD socket is different than that for the Intel socket. The AMD pattern is rectangular while the Intel pattern is square.

You need a mounting plate like this one, made to fit the AMD socket and also compatible with your EK Supreme Ltx water block, which I don't think the one I linked is. I don't know if they even make a mounting plate for your waterblock to fit an AMD.

I'll check around a little, I don't really have the option to buy more computer parts atm. So either I find a backplate or I live with this solution for some time :p

It's not AIO mate, just needs a new block and he should be good to go again

By all in one I meant sold already assembled. I did not mean a one piece unit. What I was asking was can you disconnect and reconnect the hoses if you try to swap out the block? How are they fastened to the block? Would he have to also buy new hoses and clamps? Would disconnecting things introduce air into the system that would block the flow? I have zero experience with water loops.

By looking at his block it is screwed in, so should just be a simple unscrew old, replace with new, bleed the loop and that's it

Back