• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some fan recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Winflakes

Registered
Hi all.

I am wanting to dive headfirst into the world of Watercooling and I have spent a considerable amount of time trolling the stickies and links to fill my brain with all that I can. I feel like I am lacking heavily in the fan knowledge section. I know what all the important variables are, CFM, dba, Pressure, etc. But I don't know where I can go look at a list of these to compare and select what I want that would suit my needs. I would love to be able to just use the cfm vs dba given on the websites... but we all know that is just a bunch of :blah:.

Here is an idea of what I am wanting. I want to run high fins per inch rads in my loops, so I know I will need some good pushing fans. I am planning on using Diggr's in process guide to make shroud boxes for the rads. Ideally I would LOVE for this thing to run silent, :rofl:, moving on. I plan on making an arduino based controller for my fans, and I want them to operate normally at a moderate RPM that is pretty quiet but can scale up decently high as well. The thought of the super pushers, like the Nidec I saw in some of Seeb's videos... but at $100 a pop, I don't think I'll be outfitting my case in these babies.

i was wondering if there is a point where increasing CFM didn't show any more performance gains. Is there a chart anywhere that shows CFM performance based on fin density? I would like the ability to crank my system up to get only a few C above ambient, but I honestly don't know what kind of CFM requirment that would need. Would I be fine with maxing a CFM at 90? or would I need to push up to 150, or 200+?

Any and all advice and empartment of knowledge will be greatly appreciated! :rock:

*Edit: Added a question

Last edited:
I just realized this would probably be better suited, and seen in the Water cooling sub-forum. Any nice mods wanna move me?

I say go with the Gentle Typhoon option we talked about on PMs... :D.

You could get away with AP-15s and not need more powerful fans... There is a point where speed of the fan is not going to bring you any more performance (law of diminished returns)... I don't know where that is, but I can tell you that any of the beast fans (Nidecs, Deltas, San Ace, etc) are well past that point way before you spin them up to full rpms. But because I like beastly fans; if it were me, I'd go with the AP-31s for $5 more.... That gives you the option to do the PWM mod on them and then you have the 5400 rpm headroom for when you want to turn your computer room into a wind testing facility. :D

Back