• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help, messed up while installing Windows 7 somehow..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

Before I started, I had Windows 7 installed on an SSD. This drive was fully encrypted with Truecrypt, I sometimes work from home and I need the added security. I bought a 2nd SSD and a new copy of Windows 7. I also have two standard HD's, one to backup each SSD. Anyway I installed windows 7 on the new SSD, but I forgot to unplug the other SSD before I started the process. Somehow it messed up the boot system and the old SSD would no longer boot. Using the Truecrypt rescue disk to fix the bootloader did not work, so I used the disk to unencrypt the entire drive, which was successful. I can now access it from the new Windows 7 install on the new SSD, but it still won't boot.

I tried using the Windows disk to repair the startup process, but after running it nothing changed. When I dissconnect all the other drives except the old SSD, the Windows repair does not show any copies of windows to repair in the menu. When I look at the old SSD in disk manager from the new drive, it shows the 100meg system partition as "RAW," this is what the entire drive use to look like when it was fully encrypted. I am really trying to avoid having to format/install a fresh copy on the old drive. There are several complicated to obtain and install programs I use for work that I really don't want to have to mess with again. Is there a way to rebuild that 100meg system partition, or another way to make the old copy of Windows bootable again?

Ultimately I want the old drive to kind of be hidden, so that when you turn on the computer it will just boot to the new drive, and in order for me to access the old drive I would need to go into the boot menu at startup.

Can anybody help? I have tried all of the recovery methods I have read about with the Windows 7 install disk and the command prompt.

start windows and open msconfig. Should be start up selection screen, and you should be able to select what you want to see.

You should be able to get all your data, but I'm not aware of a way to fix the install

Back