• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some help quick

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Prunecandy

ok so i bought a new motherboard gig ud5 :bday:
and i was about to get ready to install and some friends where gonna help when i remembered that windows seven needs a fresh install.
so now my friends are waiting for me to do something but im unsure about things.
i do not have a backup hdd is this a problem?
how will i get windows back when i change motherboards?
and is there anything else im forgetting to ask that i need to know about?
i do have my windows 7 disk.

You will reinstall windows onto the hard drive with your new motherboard...I'm a little lost as to the question?

Are you worried about losing data...if you don't have another drive to move some stuff to temporarily, or have no backup you will lose it.

I guess my short answer is, from what I understand...you will need to reformat, you will lose everything you have on there most likely, unless you find another drive to move your docs, music, pics, etc to.

well you answered all my questions haha
ok il pick up a 500gb hdd because im running out of space anyways.
i dont have any docs just tons of games i dont feel like reinstalling
but how am i gonna install windows on it. do i have to buy it again?
o and i guess me and my friends will have to play BP instead :shrug:

well you answered all my questions haha
ok il pick up a 500gb hdd because im running out of space anyways.
i dont have any docs just tons of games i dont feel like reinstalling
but how am i gonna install windows on it. do i have to buy it again?
o and i guess me and my friends will have to play BP instead :shrug:

You will have to reinstall all your games bud...it doesn't work like that. When a program is installed it makes entries into the Windows registry. The data created by said programs can be moved around, but not the actual program.

For instance: Office, I can move my created word documents to a backup drive and not lose them, but Office (the program) itself will have to be reinstalled. There are a few (very few) exceptions to this rule.

I doubt you will have to buy Windows again, just reinstall, enter the activation code...activate...if it doesn't work call the yahoos at MS up and tell them your mobo died...they will ask you if this copy is installed on any other machines...say no.

ok (sorry shouldnt have made that big of deal about the games. idc id rather have a new mobo and take forever to install haha)
so i could just load my pics and some videos onto a sd card or usb because its not that much. its not that hard to install things just WoW.
in that case i wont set a back up and go about installing my new mobo
thats if im right haha

ok (sorry shouldnt have made that big of deal about the games. idc id rather have a new mobo and take forever to install haha)
so i could just load my pics and some videos onto a sd card or usb because its not that much. its not that hard to install things just WoW.
in that case i wont set a back up and go about installing my new mobo
thats if im right haha

Yea, back up your music, pics, etc...and just reformat.

ummm
well either this new board is godly or im a damn wizard and just dont know it yet, but i installed the mobo had no difficulties which is a first for me. and it booted first try was pumped so i connected to a monitor booted up went past the windows logo so i was like ok blue screen or something here it comes and then it asked me for my password to get into window...i got in and all my files where there music,games etc, my gpu drivers where upto date and the only weird thing was the board OC my cpu to 1.6v at 3.6ghzz haha
il post some screen shots in a bit
im shocked

I never reformat an HDD unless absolutely necessary, which doesn't include a new board. I know that's a sin around here but what can I say?
:chair:

Solving what few issues I've had from doing that over the years took far, far less time than reinstalling Windows even once would have taken ... ;)

I reformat to get rid of junk that I don't use, doesn't take long for me. I have only had a problem once with an OS when changing the motherboard, every other time the most I have needed is a repair.

Sometimes you can get away without reinstalling the OS when changing motherboards. If it will boot into Windows (protected mode, not "Safe mode") then all you have to do is install the chipset drivers for the new board. Having said that, my experience is that most of the time you cannot boot into windows when changing the board and you have to do a new OS install and all of the applications as well.

Legally, you certainly can reuse the Windows 7 OS install disc on a new system as long as you aren't still using it on another system.

Legally, you certainly can reuse the Windows 7 OS install disc on a new system as long as you aren't still using it on another system.
As long as it's a retail version, not OEM or any other special type. Even then you might be legal but you'd have to ask MS's lawyers about it since they wrote the EUA ... :-/

As long as it's a retail version, not OEM or any other special type. Even then you might be legal but you'd have to ask MS's lawyers about it since they wrote the EUA ... :-/

. . . If an OEM install disc would even work on another system. Many OEM Windows install discs check to see if the system is the same as it was shipped with and won't work on another.

Back