• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with a stubborn recovery

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dja2k

They brought me a Samsung Flash Notebook that they want factory imaged to stock, but the standard F4 boot to recovery isn't working. I told them I can just reset Windows, but they want it back like stock. The recovery partitions are intact just can't access them. The Samsung Recovery software inside windows says the media was already created, so can't use that. Also if I try to Recovery to Factory from that same software inside windows, nothing happens after boot. I am thinking maybe two options are available, trick the Windows software to let me do a factory image media again, or force boot the recovery partition somehow. Any help is welcome and appriciated.

Who is "they"?

Why don't you just create a USB installer from Microsoft's Media Creation tool website? If the laptop has previously had Windows 10 installed on it it, any fresh install should activate automatically as long as you use the same version that was installed, e.g. Home or Pro.

You might also try removing the hard drive from the laptop and accessing the recovery partition by putting it in a usb cradle and connecting it to another computer. Then extract the factory image from the recovery partition to a thumb drive and use it to install. If the recovery partition is hidden, use Mini Tool Partition Wizard to access it or read this: https://superuser.com/questions/459434/how-to-make-a-hidden-partition-visible/459444

Some couple I know who insisted they wanted the partition intact. I know I could reinstall Windows that way or do a reset, but they want the damn stock recovery to work. I think I found a solution though, gonna try it. Thanks

You said you got a message saying the media was already created. What happened to it? Are you doing this for them as a business or just a friend helping out? Do you have any clue why they want the recovery to work? I mean, it's really not necessary to install Windows and you can get the drivers from the manufacturer's website if necessary.

I am a friend helping them out and already figured it out. The Samaung Recovery app thats from the Microsoft Store was corrupt, wasn't setting the boot drive active. After figuring it out, Uninstaller the app and service. App was re-download from MS Store and then the service gets install once you run it. Now I was able to use the Recover to Factory Image within Windows. And honestly I don't know why they wanted it that way, I explained i could have clean install it, but yeah some people you just can't convince. Thanks

I run a computer repair business and I am constantly amazed/amused/sometimes frustrated at the magical thinking of some of my customers.

Back