• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with some info on case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moccor

So I don't have much knowledge on case fans, except knowing which are quiet and which move air, those facts are obvious. But I was browsing for some fans for about 12-16$ each and after reading some reviews on Cougar fans, apparently they make noise when placed Horizontally? I always thought you just put a fan anywhere and it just worked haha. I know some have better static pressure, but I don't care for that as I am not using a huge HSF or radiator. Is it true Cougar fans make noise when placed horizontally do to that Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing? Any fans to recommend that are nicely priced but work in all positions? Silenx is out of the question, searching about them brought up bad stuff so I won't support them

I appreciate the link and I have checked it before, but it doesn't mention anything about the bearings. I don't really get why Cougar fans can't be placed top/bottom else they make noise. And now I found these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835553009 - nice price for some quiet fans, which is main priority, but I am unsure if they will be quiet when placed top/bottom.

Please link the test that says they are louder in the horizontal position. If it's in a case for the test then it's not a good test.

I did no test, I came to that assumption due to multiple reviews on Newegg stating that when they are placed horizontally, they make a whine sound. Yeah I know reviews aren't good to base purchases off of, but quiet a few people said that about those fans.

Yeah Newegg Reviews should be taken with a large pinch of Salt as they say!! :p ;)

I understand how reviews can't be taken seriously on Newegg. But I saw at least 5 reviews of people saying when they are placed top/bottom, they whine. There really is no wrong way to attach a fan, so that is why I take it into consideration. But if yous say that is not the case with Cougar fans, then I'd believe yous over them

What we're saying is, find a review (from a reputable site) that points out this issue.

I understand how reviews can't be taken seriously on Newegg. But I saw at least 5 reviews of people saying when they are placed top/bottom, they whine. There really is no wrong way to attach a fan, so that is why I take it into consideration. But if yous say that is not the case with Cougar fans, then I'd believe yous over them

So why even mention Newegg reviews?:bang head

So why even mention Newegg reviews?:bang head

Because as I said in the message you quoted, is there really a wrong way to attach a fan to a pc via the screw holes? Hell, cougar comes with rubber screws. It's like playing with that toy when you're a kid, the triangle goes through the triangle hole, the circle goes through the circle lol. I can understand 1 person being retarded, but I saw about 5 people saying the same thing and I don't think I checked all reviews either. But I am gonna buy a 4pack of Cougar fans soon anyway, so I will do my own test and definitely let yous know. I may order them tomorrow and get them Friday/Monday

Umm as we say about Newegg. Most of them are new at this whole PC modding etc and have issues. It's very common in the PC and IT world. Folks don't have a clue. The 99% who didn't have problems don't post. The ones who don't post have a brain or didn't have issues. So you get a skewed totally worthless response on Newegg.

I buy stuff there. I'm informed. I never ever had one review entry. My stuff has always worked. And why waste my time reviewing there if it was bad. I would go right to the returns section.

Your very welcome to type the name of the fan into Google and read real reviews if you like. Become informed

The same can be said about a lot of PC Parts, spend over 60% of my time reading reviews off of Google sites before i will buy! And the Reviews and tests done by the Members on this site as well. AJ. ;) :thup:

P.S. Happy reading! :salute:

Oh wow, now yous are under the impression I don't search at all lol... I ordered the fans, but I will have them in 4-9 days. I really hope that when I get these, that they whine when placed top/bottom, just so yous don't completely ignore Newegg reviews. And yeah, I searched many reviews on fans, they don't test everything. People say whether its quiet or not (what position, who knows?), they do a test blowing tissues or string idk, that doesn't give a good review on sound either because its not even attached to a case and there is no fan grill. Often times the 'tests' only involve comparisons from using other fans and showing only number differences in temperatures on forums.

You're not looking up methodical reviews.

The ones we judge fans by use equipment to measure the nose level at a standard distance, and measure the air flow rate, at 7V and 12V typically.

Also, it shouldn't be attached to a case or fan grill, because all cases and fan grills are different. What they give you is pure data on the fan itself.

You're not looking up methodical reviews.

The ones we judge fans by use equipment to measure the nose level at a standard distance, and measure the air flow rate, at 7V and 12V typically.

Also, it shouldn't be attached to a case or fan grill, because all cases and fan grills are different. What they give you is pure data on the fan itself.

That's very true, I agree with 99% of that, but I disagree with how cases and their fan grills differ. I have seen many pc case and opened them and removed their fans. I must say, they all have the same exhaust fan grill. I am not saying I have seen more pc cases than u or even the most, but you mentioning that brings up a good test each person and the manufacturers Should do. Doesn't matter if its a 10$ or 200$ case, it is gonna have that same exhaust grill and pattern

Point is, if they're going to do a restricted flow test, it shouldn't be in a case anyway, it should be with standard parts.

This review is what I mean by that.

Back