• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with some info on case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's air turbulence...the Gelid's have a more pleasant airflow noise, almost inaudible at low rpm. They do in fact work better against filters. Can you return those?
If not, fans are always handy...

Umm those Gelids do not have 120cfm, its up to 126cmh, which is 74.5cfm. The ebay spec simply used the wrong unit. And like any fan manufacturer these numbers are exaggerated.

Nonetheless, these seem to be good fans. I wonder how they compare to the Gentyle Typhoon AP-14 and AP-15.

That's air turbulence...the Gelid's have a more pleasant airflow noise, almost inaudible at low rpm. They do in fact work better against filters. Can you return those?
If not, fans are always handy...

I'm sure I can return them, but it wouldn't be economical since shipping would be 15 and then I'd take a 20% restocking fee too probably. I think its mostly the top fans though (still didn't test) but if it is I will just cut out the grills or use the 2 top-placed Cougars on the Hyper 212.

They are pretty much equal but a bit slower rpm makes them weaker, vs the AP-15s.
They are quieter than ap-14 though.

If that's the case I have to say it's a steal considering it costs half and have the more hardy fluid bearing. It's just that they're 140mm and don't fit all cases.

If only someone can make a 120mm fan that truly matches or surpasses the GT's in every aspect for $10...

Umm those Gelids do not have 120cfm, its up to 126cmh, which is 74.5cfm. The ebay spec simply used the wrong unit. And like any fan manufacturer these numbers are exaggerated.

Nonetheless, these seem to be good fans. I wonder how they compare to the Gentyle Typhoon AP-14 and AP-15.

Well that's very misleading haha. Though I guess it would be nearly impossible, at least with todays fan technology, to put out that high of CFM with that low of dba.

Yeah, no point in returning then...You can find uses for spare fans normally, I try to keep mine and never sell them.

Yeah its fine, I'm sure these Cougars would do almost as good as the Gelid when placed in the front and exhaust position and they should be silent in that position.

If that's the case I have to say it's a steal considering it costs half and have the more hardy fluid bearing. It's just that they're 140mm and don't fit all cases.

If only someone can make a 120mm fan that truly matches or surpasses the GT's in every aspect for $10...

I love your name lol.

You can find both 120 and 140 variants, the bearings are true FDB and they are very quiet with good pressure, but not as high pressure as the GT's, which are slightly noisier. (still pretty close and cheaper)

I gotta troll. Sorry. 48 posts about case fans.. It's not that hard to figure out. Or read posts, reviews, buy them. Or buy the wrong ones............

There has been a bit of good input here tho. Maybe someone in the future, while doing research and learning will see some benefit.

Just get AP-15s and a good fan controller. Done. You into modding and want an AP-15 equal? Read, do the best you can. I was at 10.99 when I got mine, before every one found out. I also payed 13.99ish later for my media build. They got to 15.99 I think or more for a while.

You pay for quality, you pay to build your own uber PC. You learn about noise against the side of the case, that's how the fan blades are developed and engineered for turbulence. An open air fan then on a case side is fully different. Cut the side thing off the case if you need to. Modify, do it. Survive.

Or you hack on and keep the post going hoping for magic instead of spending a week+ deciding on fans. I did it for my media PC. It's just a PC what is the amazing rush? Read, read, learn...............

This will help everyone who keeps posting on this thread.

Last edited:
You can find both 120 and 140 variants, the bearings are true FDB and they are very quiet with good pressure, but not as high pressure as the GT's, which are slightly noisier. (still pretty close and cheaper)

Yeah I knew the 120s existed because that's the first link I saw when I Googled the fan you told me to check out. And yeah I seen guides that say the Corsair are some of the best for air pressure on radiators or HSF, but I am not going for extreme overclocking. I am going for silence and the highest overclock I can get but keeping it at its specified max or lower. Gonna have the CPU in a week or two too.

I gotta troll. Sorry. 48 posts about case fans.. It's not that hard to figure out. Or read posts, reviews, buy them. Or buy the wrong ones............

There has been a bit of good input here tho. Maybe someone in the future, while doing research and learning will see some benefit.

Just get AP-15s and a good fan controller. Done. You into modding and want an AP-15 equal? Read, do the best you can. I was at 10.99 when I got mine, before every one found out. I also payed 13.99ish later for my media build. They got to 15.99 I think or more for a while.

You pay for quality, you pay to build your own uber PC. You learn about noise against the side of the case, that's how the fan blades are developed and engineered for turbulence. An open air fan then on a case side is fully different. Cut the side thing off the case if you need to. Modify, do it. Survive.

Or you hack on and keep the post going hoping for magic instead of spending a week+ deciding on fans. I did it for my media PC. It's just a PC what is the amazing rush? Read, read, learn...............

This will help everyone who keeps posting on this thread.

I see no trolling here, only self ignorance due to lack of reading and simply looking at post numbers. I have already said I am gonna get the Gelid that ivan recommended sometime in the coming months, because they completely fit my needs and wants. And the funny thing is I am gonna have about 80$ extra to waste when I get rid of my other PC and it's gonna go right into those Gelid Ivan recommended. Again, nobody makes you post here Conumdrum, so you don't have to worry about the number of posts. And Ivan has his own freedom and may stop posting when he chooses.

Also, I searched about the AP-15s and it seems many people say they have a annoying high pitch sound which is completely unacceptable to me. But thanks for the recommendation and I have seen many others recommend that in other threads/reviews, but the price-to-performance isn't worth it. And Scythe no longer being sold on Newegg is weird too.

Last edited:
The AP-15's have a certain whine to them but only at lowish rpm...they are excellent rad fans and beat the Silent 12's slightly cause of the blade design and rpm, but the Gelid's are quieter whilst being almost as good for radiators or cases.
If anything the AP-15's wouldn't be as good for regular case applications, except for filtered and restrictive intakes/hdd cages.

Oh jeeze. I was getting ready to buy one from that FP-outlet to give it a try, rather then just buy like 5 and be slightly disappointed like the Cougars. And the shipping says July 10-17th haha. Not sure if I want to just buy a bunch or one. I know we talked about air turbulence and how these would most likely perform better than fans with less pressure against grills or filters. But do you happen to have one that is attached to a fan grill/filter, to tell me if it is silent? I was gonna cut out my grills, but I don't have the tool to do it and the metal on the case is too thick for wire snips lol.

I do have one, intaking air through a filter, quiet at max rpm, silent at 800rpm.

EDIT: I did cut my rear exhaust grill, one of the best things to do, modding wise.

Thanks. Yeah I need to get me some tin snips I think lol. And good to know they are pretty much silent anyway even on grills, because I would rather buy 5 or more at one time, than to decide I like them and have to wait another 15-20 days for more. And if cutting the grills makes the 3 Cougars silent (they are exhaust anyway so it doesn't matter about pressure I assume) I'll just get 2 for the Hyper212 plus, 1 for the side and probably 1 for the front, since the bottom front fan doesn't really blow on anything.

Well I found some tin snips so I don't even need to buy them haha. Gonna get this over with because I know my hand is gonna be very tired. But now this raises another question. I know how to word it for Google, but I know Google won't give me the answer I need because there are multiple ways to mount fans. My case's 2 front fan areas are designed to have the fan go behind the grill. Like this - O|, where the 'O' is the fan and the '|' is the grill. The grill can still impede any airflow, correct? Though it may be minimal. The case has some plastic or very strong and flexible thin metal in front of those fans, so even then I wouldn't mind cutting out the almost useless grill.

Edit: I'm just gonna go ahead and cut them out too. Probably took less than 10 minutes to cut out the rear grill.

Last edited:
My previous case had front grills blocking the intake fans as well, apart from the front mesh/filter, so I cut them off. Best decision ever. :p
My CM 690 II on the other hand, only had a rear exhaust grill...

Yeah after I cut the exhaust and the 2 top grills, I was like... I mine as well go all out and do the 2 front and 2 bottom grills too lol. I am really hoping nothing starts vibrating as I am sure I greatly reduced the sturdiness, but I am hoping things like the PSU and the fans keep it just as sturdy as it use to, to avoid vibration noise. I finished, but I can't leave it looking the way it looks, all jagged. I need to borrow a Dremel from my brother and make it look nice.

Back