• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with some info on case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used a saw, but filing it with a dremel is the way to go really.

You'll notice better airflow and less noise. :)

Yeah right now its all jagged from using the tin snips, couldn't really get to the outsides of the circles and looks like crap haha. It really can't be seen by anyone though. The only one that can be seen if looked for, is the exhaust. But it's a nice case, surely not as nice as those awesome CM 690 and such.

You can buy some open fan guards that kinda hide the edges etc. Performance PC's has a lot of types.

Thanks for the recommendation, I was actually thinking of like some type of rubber though if anything. Like something that looks like ] but would go around in a circle on each cut out grill and then I'd probably glue or melt it. I think that would look nice and eliminate the need for a dremel if I can't find one

Edit: This I think - http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...duct_info&cPath=130_132_1014&products_id=2830 . It might not be thin enough but now at least I know what to search for haha

Last edited:
Well,I can't say for sure if it's stable. I simply upped the speed to 4.0Ghz and set the max CPU voltage to 1.100, this is the result with a near silent pc -

6jl.png

I say near silent because this stock Hyper212 fan sucks and that is the only thing attached to the HSF as well. So for anyone that said a silent pc + overclock is impossible, that is false. I am 20C below the max temp lol, and those 4 cougar fans are @ 30% or w/e the lowest my NXZT fan controller allows (25 or 30%). Works for me. And no I am not gonna question or discuss overclocking in this fan-question-thread, I just wanted to make a point, though there is no proof on the sound so its everyone choice to believe what they want. Room temp has to be between 70-80F as well.

For w/e reason speedfan shows wrong temps, the temps from HWiNFO64 are in the tray. Motherboard is brown and CPU is red. That Teal is some weird Intel PCH that I didn't know what it was so I watched it.

Thanks. Well, I thought it was still useful, though I did learn of it probably like 3 years ago haha. I just opened it to show the CPU's fan speed and that it isn't running at some ridiculous speed. I will have to take some pics of this PC, it turned out nicely and for a very cheap price. I may just buy a single Gelid since the only noisy fan left is the CPU and my temps are well below their maximum. And I sure don't want to increase the voltage above stock because the i7 starts to draw a lot of power. I may even just put the money I would have spent on quiet fans, towards a cheap 7770 or something because the GTX260 is ridiculous too and a 100$ card can pay for itself in probably less than a year.

Edit: that sounds ignorant, but I mean it like since my temps are so low, it kinda just changed priority on the fans. I will definitely be getting 1-2 Gelids and depending on how satisfied I am (which I am sure I will be) I'll recommend them and get more in the future.

Last edited:
Yup, get a 7790 if possible...good budget card, which mines fine too.

Yeah I really don't want to since Microsoft pretty much Just announced DirectX11.2 like two days ago. But The GTX260 @ full load uses 50-100Watt more. Definitely am not selling my 260 cuz it has a lifetime warranty from XFX. But I feel like it'll be pretty damn hard to use that warranty with me keeping temps low lol.

dezl.jpg

It's not finished, but there it is without the GTX 260. Front fans are those Kingwin 'free after rebate' fans. I don't think I should put a fan on the back of the Hyper212. After reading some tests done with it, some people's results were minimal from adding that fan and I think with it being so close to the top, it might interfere with the airflow a bit. Also I ran out of zip ties so the 2 SATA cables to my HDD's and their power plug looks like crap. For around 430$ (-+10$), not counting the 1TB 3.5" or the removable 3.5" drive bay, it looks awesome.

Looks about right, but I prefer pointing the cooler paralell to the ground, air going front to back, and using the top fans as filtered intakes (one of them, the forward-most one)

That's a really cool idea. I thought about multiple positions of fans, but I did not think of that. I want to try it now, but I will probably wait until after I get the Gelid for the cpu cuz I also need some more zip ties and I hate unplugging all those cables and plugging them back in. Also, I am not gonna do the rubber grommet anytime soon. Home Depot apparently only sells the little small circles like many other people and I am not gonna pay 40$ for something that can't really be seen (20$ shipping from performance-pcs >_>)

Last edited:
I use the stock rubber grommets that come with Gelid fans...they work nicely.
The ty-140s are mounted with screws and the noise profile is different, that's for sure. (at least with my case, that is)

Here are some pics (nevermind the dust and sucky cable management, I had to rma my MVG and didn't bother fixing that for now, but it runs cool and quiet)
rqa2.jpg

6ydx.jpg

And this is how it's supposed to look like:
airflow.png

Yup, that's a Pentium D based rig with a 7970! xD (joys of Asus rma)

I have a rear exhaust with no grill, top, side and front intakes for now. (lent one of my TY-140s to a friend and he broke a blade, that used to be my 5.25 bay intake fan)
Front to back a-la-server airflow pattern works nice but I'll stick to this till I get my next board+cpu and do the window side panel mod.

Oh so you recommend entirely just removing a top fan. I thought you meant one exhausting up out of the case and one down towards the HSF. Thinking about it though, since I run these Cougars @ very low RPM, maybe even making both intakes and strapping a Gelid on it could work nice, since the Gelid would have higher RPM and pressure, I would think the Cougars wouldn't interrupt the airflow but instead bring cooler air to the heatsink to be blown through. I will definitely have to make a bunch of test again like I did for the Thermaltake V9. And the one thing my case doesn't have that I wish it did, was a fan in the front that blew right towards the CPU, but I really don't think I need it and I know there are converters but they are expensive and I need my Fan controller + DVD Drive lol.

What videocard did you have before using the warranty and was it a lifetime warranty? I've always wondered what I would be sent if/when my GTX 260 failed. People seem to really dislike XFX lately but from the 2 or 3 tickets I opened with them, I was very pleased. Thanks a lot for taking the time to make that pic and for taking the pic of your rig too. I hate how Corsair doesn't sleeve their PSU cables all the way on the non-expensive ones, its so ugly

Yeah, cheapish TX750, it's good enough but not pretty.
I cut some of the spare sata cables too...

The rear top fan would intake hot air from the rear exhaust, and if set as exhaust it would divert the front to back flow, and add useless noise.

Your setup looks good if you need to populate the 5.25 bays though, but experimenting is fun, so why not? :D

As for the gpu, I never replaced one, I did rma a gigabyte board and an asus one.
Asus said the board was fine, yet it killed two cpus. Not happy with them.

Oh jeeze, I certainly don't consider 110$ cheap (price today, possibly higher when you bought it lol), they could at least sleeve the 100$+ cables all the way with the plastic if not nylon.. And oh wow, that is very nice of them I guess, depending on the CPU that was killed. I'm ordering 4 Gelids from Newegg tomorrow and will play with them soon, I have a 20% off case fans for buying the i7.

4 intake fans and one exhaust? Thats what you recommended?

Well yes, but also he has top-fan spot open for hot air to rise out. Depending on his fans speeds, I see no problem with have 4 intake and 1 exhaust. Cool air should hit pretty much all the necessary hardware that way. He even made a pic and his setup is weird, so I am sure he did his homework. The norm isn't always the best :p.

hmm this is my setup thats 9 fans (not counting the psu), and thats with water cooling, I am a little old school that for every mm in have a mm out.:thup:

Attachments

• gotair.png
    gotair.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Don't copy my setup, it's better for a passive cpu...:p
Experiment, have fun, you'll find an ideal configuration with less noise and cooler temps.

EDIT: Your setup looks fine, ambient temps should be decent despite having a gtx580 and an h100 in there. (since the h100 is exhausting hot air, right?)

Back