• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with some info on case fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yea this is new to me started back in 1976 for cooling and most stuff except overclocking.

Ugh, Newegg sucks. They had a coupon that when you spend 50$ and use Google Wallet, it reduces the cost by 15$. Well, 5 fans came to 49.95$... so I went with 6 lol. Not really a priority to get 6, but I am sure I will be glad in a couple years when I want to overclock. I pretty much got a fan for free.

Cool! :D

6 x 10 buck fans, for 50! :p
Pretty sweet deal...you won't regret getting those.

Well it was actually 45$. 4 fans was 32 something w/20% off, but I had them cancel that order soon as I saw the Google Wallet coupon. Would have been cheaper if it was free shipping. If I get Lasership as the shipper I can have these in by Sunday.

Nice better yet! :D

I wanna get some more of those fans and sell my ty-140s.
They would fit my next build's theme much better (going for an x79-ud3 and a window side panel mod)
I also got to replace my psu, or sleeve it...I'm thinking replacing it would be easier since I wanna go for more gpus (4x7970s) eventually, but not sure I can get a buyer for mine.

Post temps and some overclocking results when you get them, as well as your impressions.

Yeah that board looks nice. I thought mine was gonna look like that, the brown looks so bad lol. I think even pink or green would look nicer than that brown. The only thing that really matches the brown is ugly Noctuas haha. Do you do a lot of rendering? I searched the board and it uses LGA2011, which appears to be server CPU's. Do server CPU's do better than regular CPU's when it comes to gaming? Not sure if you do rendering or gaming, because there are people crazy enough to use 4x 7970s for gaming haha.

Yeah I'll definitely post some results. Atm though I have a weird problem. I set my motherboard to run the CPU at 1.100vcore and 37 multipliar (I disabled all that powersaving stuff as well). CPU-Z shows 1.080vcore, but HWiNFO shows variations of 1.20-1.250. Is that normal? And I know its off topic, but I didn't wanna make a thred for a single question, it would seem silly

I fold and mine litecoins and other cryptocurrencies...I need good gpu bandwidth and beast cpu for folding.
I'm going for a 3930k used, or a 4930k once it's out.
For now single 7970 and 3820 will do till I save for the other stuff.
I also bench for the local benchmarking team :D

I see. That's really cool. Based on your findings with the cryptocurrencies so far, do you believe your upgrade will pay for itself in a reasonable amount of time? Like, 1-2 years or less. I read about bitcoin mining but I never got around to trying it out and I'm not the type to leave my PC on over night or while I'm at work, so it would be of much use to me.

Also, I am glad I bought those Gelid now, I was just messing with the ASrock tunings software and when I set the stock Hyper212 fan to speed level 1 of 10, I still hear it >_>. I wonder if I have a bad fan or if they all have high pitched sounds. Either way, I won't hear it for long. And sadly FedEx is delivering my fans, so It's likely I won't get them until next week with the super eggsaver shipping. I've gotten a purchase next-day with super eggsaver when it was lasership shipping it lol.

The ASrock Extreme Tuning Utility also shows 1.080 as the vcore, so I guess its safe to assume HWiNFO is wrong with the voltages.

I recommend silentpcreview.com for fan reviews.
They are the most detailed fan reviews I have found.

I recommend silentpcreview.com for fan reviews.
They are the most detailed fan reviews I have found.

Thanks for the info. I think I actually found many reviews from that site. But most people just find out the DBA, they don't really say if its quiet. And quiet to many people is different than my opinion. But I feel like me and Ivanlabrie share the same likeness on sound when it comes to a fan truly being quiet, I believe his CPU has no fan on the heatsink on one of his PC's haha. I really wish I had some meter to monitor the sound levels when I am finished installing the Gelids. Only thing I have is my phone and I doubt a Android app can truly determine sounds levels to a reliable extent. Really my options are limited to Gelid, Noctua, Typhoon and Soundblocker (I think that's another one?). But I am not going for insane overclocks+silence so I don't need to spend 24$/fan.

Thanks for the info. I think I actually found many reviews from that site. But most people just find out the DBA, they don't really say if its quiet. And quiet to many people is different than my opinion.

True enough. That is why silentpcreview includes mp3 recordings of the fans. For their 140mm fan roundup see http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1346-page6.html where they have a recording of each reviewed fan at 3 to 5 different rpm's. As you say, there is much more to fan noise than the dba rating. Most other fan reviews I have read don't include recordings.

The only problem with silentpcreview is they concentrate on quiet fans, but sometimes you need a big a$$ high speed fan. It would be really wonderful if they reviewed those as well...

In addition, for their cpu coolers and power supply reviews they have audio recordings as well as a graph of the spectrum of the fan sound.

Their reviews are very confusing. I have no idea what those charts mean, but I can read the conclusions they have and that's kinda good enough haha. The audio recording is neat though. I don't really understand how reliable it can be since there is such a large variety of speakers, headphones and earphones, but I am not complaining.

If they use the same setup for their tests, and I think they specify that. As long as they are done in a repeatable scientific matter, you can trust it for the differences between the fans. on their site.

Martinsliquidlab.org has stuff like that too.

Oh, I guess its mainly to just hear like whines or hums, not really to hear as though it was physically near your ear.
And btw I know what yous mean now with not being able to overclock much. Idk the specific voltage, but I was trying someones recommended settings for this board and it hit like 1.3vcore under prime95 (I'm sure just due to the wrong LLC level) but it instantly brought CPU temps to like 82 lol. As opposed to like 60-62 in the 1.1vcore range. But this Hyper212+fan is barely running so I don't have to hear it. Tuesday is the estimated delivery for the fans and I will most likely mess with them that day too

Well I have the fans now. I don't plan on doing many different tests, mainly just the main one, changing the CPU HSF. So basically the stock 212+ fan @ speed level 2 (yes I know, doesn't help much) had a max temp of 62C during Small FFTs. Even @ speed 2 of 10, the CoolerMaster fan could be heard and it had a hum to it. I switched it out with the Gelid fan and the max temp of 62C stayed the same. The minimum temp seemed to have decreased by 2C though. The main difference and whole point of purchasing the fans, was that the Gelid @ full speed is very quiet. I can't even tell exactly how quiet at this point, because now my remaining sound problem, is the stock GPU fan lol. I used rivatuner and set it from 40% to 25% (the lowest) and that dropped the sound by a noticeable amount. I didn't even think to lower the GPU fan speed before because I could always hear that CoolerMaster hum. I changed the HSF from verticle to horizontal and the max temp went to 66C, with the Gelid fan. I had to change the thermal paste though, which is AS5 and that needs to settle for like 300 hours or so. It's not the best test, but its simple and striaght forward. Like Ivanlabrie said, its silent and it works. I am gonna move more fans around now and see if replacing the cheap Kingwin and Bitfenix fans with Gelids/Cougar will have a better effect on maximum temp.

I suggest getting some inexpensive sound deadening material and applying it to the interior of the case. I bought a roll at lowe's for about $18 and it is enough for 3-4 cases. It helps a lot with flimsy steel or aluminum side panels. It is called peel & seal and is a roll 6" high and 25' feet long. It has some black sticky stuff, and a soft aluminum surface. It is about 1mm thick.

I suggest getting some inexpensive sound deadening material and applying it to the interior of the case. I bought a roll at lowe's for about $18 and it is enough for 3-4 cases. It helps a lot with flimsy steel or aluminum side panels. It is called peel & seal and is a roll 6" high and 25' feet long. It has some black sticky stuff, and a soft aluminum surface. It is about 1mm thick.

That's a good idea too...haven't done it myself yet but I gotta try it after I finish upgrading my mobo+cpu and adding gpus.
Gonna be tricky with multi gpus though but worth it.

Back