• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need some intel advice on a set up i might get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fireandice

well i got ram and a graphic card. but im looking to step up from my 2500+ and a pen d is about the cheepest and bet proformance gain for the price.

ASUS P5P800-VM or Gigabyte 8I865G "dont have enought money for ddr2 i'll be tradeing stuff in for this upgrade so if i have enought i'll get ddr2"

1gig of pc3200 from old rig
pen d 805

anther rig i may consider

Athlon 3500+
ASUS A8V "i have a AGP card" or ASUS A8N-E
1gig of pc3200

i would go AM2 but thats out of my price range but dapending on the amount i get for trade in i may upgrade or go am2. if i got intel i'll upgrade to ddr2 first

If you want a good overclocking mobo.. you would skip MATX and ge the ATX ver. *the ASUS of course ;)*

im limited to stock on hand. so i hope i make enought off my rig to upgrade.

if not i can allways get more ram or get some quiter fans and more neons lol.

lol i might just sell the parts i got here. make more money and then i'll just order my stuff from the egg. if i do that then i can go with a better cpu and ddr2. i wanna do am2 but amd dual core is alot so i might go with a d even tho i wanna do opty or X2 but i was thinking either 805 or pen d 830 if i do intel.

i would go e6400 but i would like somthing that has been proven and not to meny problems. i like stable systems that why i milked my socket 754 for so long. and the d's been out for a while and they oc good and there stable systems.

You want a C1 steping 930D (about the same price as the 830 but a much better performer ;) ) if you go netburst and Intel.
Low end Conroe might beat it at everything but possibly vidieo encoding though. And proven how? reliablity? Baa, your keeping computer componets past there expected lifespan for proven reliabilty :p

If you decide to go netburst look long and hard at what PSU your going to overclock the rig with.. the big conroe thread has alot of good PSU discussion in it :D

If you go Intel 9XX, they are due for a price cut on or about the 27 of this month, so I wouldnt get one b4 then.
And as greenmaji pointed out...Can you say power hungry :p

i picked up a E6800 they had one in stock for $1,100. i know $100 more but suply and damand. ALso picked up 2 gigs of ddr2 for it.

so this leaves me with about $600 for a mobo sata harddrive and graphics card and a soundcard.

so what is the best mobo you can get along with a link? And should i go 7950 or 7900. I would go x1900xtx but i dont buy ati. I hope i can have this new system running in a few days and post some benchmarks i just hope there no major bugs E6800.

you went from not having enough $$ for ddr2 to having enough for a x6800???:drool:

where did you order it from, and have you gotten a tracking # yet?

i picked it up from a shop localy they had 1 on hand and 1 6400. thats the reason i sold my outher lap top and my desktop and took a few bucks out of the bank and got the 6800. i figured i would spend some money and get it now.

just ordered a Asus P5W DH 975X from zip zoom fly thanks for the link. im still looking for graphic cards untill then i got a buddys old 6800 ultra.

Back