• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Working on build / upgrade advice & comments needed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuRgLaR

So I'm finally upgrading from my old 9500 AM2+ quad rig and I am piece by piece getting things where I want them.

I'm going with a Blue/Black color scheme and I call her " Deep Blue" Dramatic Name huh?

Here's what's under the hood so far and keep in mind there's a lot of old components in here ram/ vid card.

I have no budget within reason just wanting something solid for gaming/ 3D production/ movie making.

I went with AMD over Intel simply because of price. I'm not pro AMD or Intel but the Intel proc I wanted for build was $1000 so I didn't.

The hardware.

Cooler Master HAF-X Blue Edition
AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0GHZ
G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 4GB - Upgrading to 32
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Don't care for this as it blocks my ram slots
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
EVGA Geforce 550Ti 2GB - Badly in need of Upgrade
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
PNY Optima 120GB SSD - Planning on a 850 EVO instead
WD Black 3TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 2TB SATA - Storage
WD Green 640 GB - Storage
WD Blue 500GB - Storage
Cooler Master Mega-Flow 200mm x4
Cooler Master Mega Flow 230mm x1
Cooler Master BC 140 140mm x1
Cooler Master JetFlo 120mm x1 Blue Led - VGA Duct

Windows 7

My problems
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need a new graphics card and I do believe this particular board supports both Crossfire/SLI

I'm wanting to keep it under $350 for the card unless it's a beast I don't think I can get a 970 for that

I love/hate this 212 EVO I've clocked this to 4.5 without any heat issues but it blocks up my ram slots.

I'm maxing my ram on this board but here lies the problem ---> EVO supports up to 37mm max height on ram.
In order to max this board I'm either A: Going to have to get an H100i and ditch the EVO or get low profile ram.
I wanted my Corsair Dominator Platinum in a 4x8GB 1866MHz with the light bar kits. The EVO kills this idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visual Additives.

I'm big on colors and crap I love flashy useless stuff

What do you recommend as far as cables & extensions / Lights & other useless crap

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally the picture - Try not to kill me with mean comments I have a ton of stuff to do - and yes I'm getting rid of that red SATA cable I found my other UV blue one

Basically what do you guys think I need to complete this to my tastes?

SbprK5o.jpg.png

Last edited:
If you mount the 212 evo to point to the rear you can put the fan in a pull config to the rear and viola free ram slots.

And as far as cables you could always sleeve them blue or there are companies that sell the whole presleeved cable for modular ssystems.

That might be solved by turning that HSF so it points to the back. Maybe even put the fan in a pull configuration.
Do I have to completely remove the mounting bracket from the mobo or can I just rotate it? The scissor like mounts that hold it in place only seemed to work in one direction. Keep in mind this thing came without instructions.

Do I have to completely remove the mounting bracket from the mobo or can I just rotate it? The scissor like mounts that hold it in place only seemed to work in one direction. Keep in mind this thing came without instructions.

It will mount both ways. Pull it off clean and reapply Tim and open the bracket the other way and it will mount pointing to the rear. I used to use the same cooler. Took me awhile to figure out how to point it to the rear.

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0GHZ
If you upgrade to 32GB you will have to ditch your existing 4GB stick. Do you NEED 32GB? What do you do with your PC?
Rotate it and put it in pull config
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
GA990FXA is better IMO
Kill it with fire! You need a GTX 970 or equivalent. R9 290 is under $250 US right now. Amazing deal.
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
Overkill
850 EVO does not exist. May exist in the future but not now.
WD Blue 500GB - Storage

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0GHZ
If you upgrade to 32GB you will have to ditch your existing 4GB stick. Do you NEED 32GB? What do you do with your PC?
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
GA990FXA is better IMO
Kill it with fire! You need a GTX 970 or equivalent. R9 290 is under $250 US right now. Amazing deal.
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
Overkill
WD Blue 500GB - Storage

Man you sure like to make it hard for us color blind individuals lol

I was about to question the 32GB memory, but then saw your reasons.
I use a similar cooler and it is turned 90 degrees from yours. Fan is on ram side. My Ripjaws X are tall... but no interference.
As for the Samsung SSD, you either meant 840 EVO (don't forget the patch) or 850 Pro. I'd go with the 850 Pro.
You don't need the 1050 watts, so if you cut back on PSU, started with only 8GB ram (maybe that will be enough?), you could then get the better SSD, or better GPU.

Just a thought.

I was about to question the 32GB memory, but then saw your reasons.
I use a similar cooler and it is turned 90 degrees from yours. Fan is on ram side. My Ripjaws X are tall... but no interference.
As for the Samsung SSD, you either meant 840 EVO (don't forget the patch) or 850 Pro. I'd go with the 850 Pro.
You don't need the 1050 watts, so if you cut back on PSU, started with only 8GB ram (maybe that will be enough?), you could then get the better SSD, or better GPU.

Just a thought.

AFAIK all Samsung 840 EVO on the market now have the firmware update that prevents the "old data slowdown" problem.

Sorry. I have no concept of what being color blind is like.

Man you sure like to make it hard for us color blind individuals lol

AMD FX-8320 @ 4.0GHZ
ASUS M5A99X Evo r2.0
GA990FXA is better IMO
Corsair HX 1050 PSU
Overkill
WD Blue 500GB - Storage

Not exactly, but kinda sums it up.

As far as a GPU what are you guys thinking ?

I've been looking at these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161457

HIS iPower IceQ X² R9 290x's - Was considering 2 of these but I have a few concerns - At $360 a pop are these cards everything they promise to be?

Would I just be better off with a EVGA GTX 980 SC 4GB at $629

Both of these are out of my price range but as far as single card performance would you go with the 980 or the 290x ?

Back