• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestions for build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

I want to upgrade my aging system. However, considering that I would have to essentially replace everything anyways, I am going to go with the "build whole new computer" route. Unfortunately, I fell tremendously out of date over the past couple of years.

My general idea is to avoid having a "vacuum cleaner" as a computer and thus to not have as much loud fans in the case. My case isn't that great of one, so I was going to go for a new case as well.

I need the following...
Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Video card, Hard Drive, Optical drive (DVD burner?), Floppy drive (with card reader?), case, fan controller (is this necessary?), fans, after market CPU cooler (necessary?), and I think that is it... Essentially, I am building the whole box...

I need a PSU to replace the one in my current configuration. The one in my current system is an OCZ 700 watt. I did have a 480 watt in here but it blew. So, I would need at least a 480 watt for my old system so that I can move the nicer PSU to the new system. I would prefer to buy a PSU that won't blow it's capacitors...

I am thinking of the following case... but I would like case suggestions.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

I am using the following thread as a resource... $600 is around my target price as well.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=548519

I wouldn't mind going for an AMD or Intel system and Intel is doing better than AMD this generation. So, in that respect, I am leaning towards Intel. I have gotten very confused about how to determine which Intel chips perform better. I do want at least a dual core system though to avoid any unfortunate freezing from annoying programs.

Video cards have additionally left me in the past. I have no idea which video cards perform better that are from the same manufacturer much less if ATI or Nvidia do better. I still want an appropriate card for this configuration though since I tend to game quite a bit these days. I don't want to chug along at low to medium settings in my games. :) I do want a solo card configuration and it doesn't have to be too high end.

I need a hard drive, Sata sounds like the way to go these days. I currently have a bit shy of 500 Gb in my current system spread across four PATA drives. I don't quite need to buy 500 Gb but I was looking at a 160 Gb drive or higher... maybe dual 250s might work. Speed wise... I got left in the past. I only know speeds by RPMs and I think that is a tad outdated.

I do have Vista Business from my school which I have not installed yet, so the OS is covered.

As for memory... I have seen configurations anywhere from 2 Gb to 4 Gb. Vista is quite a memory hog it seems... so, thoughts on this? I want an appropriate configuration of memory but for some reason I'm thinking 2-3 Gb would be sufficient... not sure though.

As mentioned above, I'm not sure how to approach fan controllers, fans, or heatsinks. I'm not even sure how difficult it is to overclock these newer systems (got lost when hearing about multiplier locking on the AMD side...). So, I would prefer either a system that needs no overclocking or one that overclocking shouldn't be much of an issue for. I'm not wanting to heavily get into overclocking this time around in other words... but if it is an easy overclock then I can go for it. Mainly... I'm wondering what is so special about the Intel E2160.

If I do get a fan controller, I need one that doesn't have led lights powerful enough to land a 747 during a rainstorm at night. It seems like the better fan controllers all had insane lighting. I found one that appeared interesting but I'm not sure how good of a fan controller it is... The link is here...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998017

Mainly, I don't want to insanely control the fans. If my system can manage its' own fans without issue then I would be quite happy. Also, if I can avoid loud fans I would once again be quite happy. My main system has two Vantec 80 mm Tornados in the front, a 92 mm Tornado as the CPU fan, an 80 mm Smartfan 2 on the side, and a no-name 80 mm fan in the back. I have concluded over the years that I need some peace and quiet!!

I am most likely missing something... but I will think of it as this thread develops. Let me know of any preferred system configurations that you have for around $600. Also, any catching up knowledge of the past few years would be helpful too.

Back